LED headlamp (specific bulb question)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PhilMill

LED headlamp (specific bulb question)

Post by PhilMill »

I know the LED question has been raised many times, but I'm wondering if anybody has experience of this particular bulb, It seems like its built in a way so it may not dazzle like others do. I'm thinking about it on a 2018 RT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Headligh ... Sw6n5XurcA

I hope the link works.

Thanks.
Too many bikes, not enough time!
Sprintgull

Re: LED headlamp (specific bulb question)

Post by Sprintgull »

Hi Phil

Welcome

There have been a couple of topics on here about this.  I think the general consensus was to be careful.  The main problem seems to be that the point of origin of the light source may be different from the standard halogen bulb.  The reflector on the bike is specifically designed for the halogen, so anything else can mean the beam is not as well targeted and can dazzle too.  I decided against it in the end.

There was a review in Bike or Ride a few months back and the LED came last.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

Thanks for that, I know all the stories about LED, and I understand why, I see all these cars running around with HID conversions that dazzle everybody. I just thought that bulb kit looked the part, but hadn't considered the actual reflector would create the issue.

Ok, I'll leave that, just have to accept I'm getting old and not ride in the dark.  :not:
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Be very careful with those H-type LED lamps. I put them in my car (an old and much clapped out Honda) and I was horrified to discover they were actually less bright than the humble H4 halogen lamps I had before, or at least so they seemed to me. Most likely a reflector issue but it was a good way to waste my money.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Auxiliary lighting seems to be the answer to all the questions which get people looking at LED headlamp conversions.  ;D

A pair of something like Denali D4s and you will have vastly more than the OE lighting (and additional redundancy).  ;)
They do however cost significantly more than a bulb conversion .....  :-X
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

gogs01 wrote: Auxiliary lighting seems to be the answer to all the questions which get people looking at LED headlamp conversions.  ;D

A pair of something like Denali D4s and you will have vastly more than the OE lighting (and additional redundancy).  ;)
They do however cost significantly more than a bulb conversion .....  :-X

NO, auxiliary lighting is not the answer.
If the OP is concerned with dazzling people, then we are talking about the low or dip beam. So just about every aftermarket lamp is only useful as a high beam augmentation. They will be WAY worse in dazzling offending oncoming drivers than an LED conversion would be.
Of course [size=2px]Auxiliary lighting has its place and my bike is bedecked with them, but NOT to supplement the low beam (sadly).[/size]
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I've put HIDs and LEDs in a few bikes now, the only one which has really worked are nighteye bulbs in my '04 fazer thou. And I think that it is due to the reflector which just happens to work with those bulbs. I "might" try one in Elsie, but as others have said, aux lights is what I will be relying on.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Old-Git wrote: I've put HIDs and LEDs in a few bikes now, the only one which has really worked are nighteye bulbs in my '04 fazer thou. And I think that it is due to the reflector which just happens to work with those bulbs. I "might" try one in Elsie, but as others have said, aux lights is what I will be relying on.

I have used CarRover LED's (low and high beam) with great success (as has Realshelby). We have found the beam pattern to be spot on. Cut off is good, spread is good, light colour excellent. So, for me, LED replacements are getting better and better as the technology is there to get the LED chip to be powerful and as compact as a incandescent coil which means the geographic placement can match and also improve on conventional Halogens.
PhilMill

Post by PhilMill »

The high beam isn't so bad but I find its not that often that you get it on for more than a few seconds. Low beam isn't that good, but I realise others may disagree. I would happily add a set of extra lights if they will help, cost within reason is not the concern. I wondered if anybody had real world experience of that lamp, it looks the part unlike others I have seen but looks can be deceiving as we all know.
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

bandytales wrote:
I have used CarRover LED's (low and high beam) with great success (as has Realshelby). We have found the beam pattern to be spot on. Cut off is good, spread is good, light colour excellent.

Based on your (and Realshelby's) positive review of the CarRover LED's, I tried them out on my '06RT as well - all 3 bulbs.  The are absolutely fantastic, and thanks btw!

Back on topic, the LED conversion problem has always been the location of the LED emitter relative to the 'standard' location of the halogen filament on a regular bulb.  Although I have no knowledge or experience with this particular LED light, it looks fairly well thought out, and might replicate the designed beam pattern reasonably well.  Just my $0.02
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

bandytales wrote:
NO, auxiliary lighting is not the answer.
If the OP is concerned with dazzling people, then we are talking about the low or dip beam. So just about every aftermarket lamp is only useful as a high beam augmentation. They will be WAY worse in dazzling offending oncoming drivers than an LED conversion would be.
Of course Auxiliary lighting has its place and my bike is bedecked with them, but NOT to supplement the low beam (sadly).[/size]

I must confess to not having used the latest LED auxiliary lights (of which there is an enormous variety), but I have used a pair of Ring auxiliary lights fitted with 55w bulbs which supplemented my dipped beams without causing any. dazzle.

Given the number of different types of LED lights available, I would be amazed if there was nothing suitable for use alongside dipped beams - but of course, I could be wrong .....
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

gogs01 wrote:
I must confess to not having used the latest LED auxiliary lights (of which there is an enormous variety),but I have used a pair of Ring auxiliary lights fitted with 55w bulbs which supplemented my dipped beams without causing any. dazzle.

Given the number of different types of LED lights available, I would be amazed if there was nothing suitable for use alongside dipped beams - but of course, I could be wrong .....

Pleased with Denali 2 and no adverse reactions from others.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Beagle wrote: Pleased with Denali 2 and no adverse reactions from others.

Thanks Beagle - I've seen them at a bike show, along with the D4.

According to the Denali website they can be set to dim with dipped beam and only go to full power with main, or be set to full power all the time.

I'd be interested to know whether yours dim with dipped beam or are on full power with dipped beam, and either way do they offer any improvement to what you can see with dipped beam at night.  ???
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

gogs01 wrote:
Thanks Beagle - I've seen them at a bike show, along with the D4.

According to the Denali website they can be set to dim with dipped beam and only go to full power with main, or be set to full power all the time.

I'd be interested to know whether yours dim with dipped beam or are on full power with dipped beam, and either way do they offer any improvement to what you can see with dipped beam at night.  ???

Mine are controlled with the CanSmart.(check the cansmart website).  I have them on 100% on dipped headlight all the time. Not ridden at night yet as its been off theroad for winter and not yet ridden in dark. They are a great improvement and contribute to the headlight beam.
Last edited by Beagle on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

[size=2px]I have the D4's and you can set the brightness for dipped beam two way's, either using the 'wonder wheel' on the handle bars or by plugging in your laptop going into the settings on your Hex zeCan or CanSmart[/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px]I just use the wonder wheel as you can adjust as you ride along, full power is supplied on the main beam.  The improvement on normal dipped is great and on main beam it's fantastic.[/size][size=2px]