Mapping Software

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Mapping Software

Post by B787MECH »

I have used Motogoloco for planning and creating routes but it seems to be unavailable now due to a dispute with Google. I have never been able to get my head around Basecamp so does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives that are suitable for IT numpties like myself! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
milleplod

Re: Mapping Software

Post by milleplod »

Try Tourstart - https://tourstart.org/
It's not free (although you do get a free trial period), but I think £12 a year, or thereabouts, is very good value for what it offers. I use nothing else now - it's simple to use and works seamlessly with my old Zumo.
Pete
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Excellent, looks very good, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Basecamp is decidedly user unfriendly - until you suddenly understand it, then it becomes easier.

I belong to another forum - a Zumo orientated one, they have a link to a good training course : [size=78%]https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12[/size]

If you have a Garmin GPS, then using Basecamp is the best solution, as you do not have any transmitting issues.  (Ok, once everything is set up correctly!  :) )
Best regards, Sleuth
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Sleuth wrote: Basecamp is decidedly user unfriendly - until you suddenly understand it, then it becomes easier.

I belong to another forum - a Zumo orientated one, they have a link to a good training course : [size=78%]https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12[/size]

If you have a Garmin GPS, then using Basecamp is the best solution, as you do not have any transmitting issues.  (Ok, once everything is set up correctly!  :) )
I tried with Basecamp, I really tried.....for 10 minutes....then I gave up! Things should be intuitive from the off, Basecamp isn't.  :eek:
Pete
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

milleplod wrote:
Hi, no one is saying you didn't try. I was using the predecessor MapSource, which is also a pain.

I will not repeat the words I used while learning both programs - not in polite society!

It does pay dividends when you understand it.

The zumo forum is open for people to ask questions, and there are quite knowledgeable people there.

Try the New England Riders training - it helps. Trying to learn it on your own is next to impossible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've used My Route App for the last couple of years, made by some developers who built Tyre. Its free for a trial, but if you want all the bells and whistles you need to pay a subscription. Its a lot easier, comes with an app that transfers routes to your chosen device. One really good bit, is you can map in Google, Tom Tom, Garmin etc so if you share routes you can check it all works in different formats, you can then convert your route to any output required. The other night, the garmin map didn't show a side road, so I mapped the route in Google, then saved to HERE maps (Garmin) and transferred to my Nav VI, all worked well. There is a slight issue with waypoints and shaping points, so when you export you have a choice of 2 garmin exports, one gives way points, one gives shaping points, you can't mix at the moment. The shaping point export you need to export slightly differently or you end up with a straight line route, but there are instructions on how to get around this.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree MyRoute App works well if you have a Garmin Nav. Basecamp is not easy to use at first go. However if you give yourself time to look at tutorials and play then it is useable. Just takes work. These days I don't use either. I jumped ship sold my Garmin Nav V and have gone with TomTom as they have Mydrive which is easy to use for route planning on computer, iPad or iPhone. The big advantage for me of the TomTom is the wireless updating and route transfer. I don't need to connect to a computer to do either. I can go away without a computer. If I need to change a route I can either use my iPhone or a hotels computer and then sync the TomTom over the nerd.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Check out Furkot Road Trip Planner. Routes can be easily uploaded to Nav. There was a seminar on it at last year's US National Rally in Des Moines. I like it a lot.
Steve
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I agree with Sleuth a few posts back.  Using Basecamp was always accompanied with much cussing and ranting which got me sent to the naughty step more than once.  Then, all of a sudden, click - it made sense.  Have I fallen into the trap of Garmin's subliminal brain washing?  Am I now a sleeper waiting to spring into action at the mention of a certain POI?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Littlebriar wrote: Check out Furkot Road Trip Planner. Routes can be easily uploaded to Nav. There was a seminar on it at last year's US National Rally in Des Moines. I like it a lot.

My Route App also have a Nav app for the phone, if you pay you can have both. Garmin have realised that Basecamp is not great, they have announced they have stopped support and development, they are going to an online alternative.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote: Basecamp is not great, they have announced they have stopped support and development, they are going to an online alternative.

Man I hope they do it soon. Basecamp is such a clunky program.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Man I hope they do it soon. Basecamp is such a clunky program.

I agree Basecamp is probably ok if you learn it, but I can't be bothered to learn a clunky application, I just want something to plot routes on, be able to export for my mates in different formats so they can use their own Navs. Job done. The support from the My Route App team is really good as well. But you do pay for it :)