Givi UT810 Tanklock bag

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
OldKid

Givi UT810 Tanklock bag

Post by OldKid »

Well, here we go the queries begin :) .

Sadly I'll be losing my much loved tank bag rail (to my mind best tank bag fitting ever designed) when I give up the 2010 RT, don't like the idea of plastic clips (just not BMW to my mind but all my protestations were ignored) and have narrowed down to the Givi UT810 Tanklock bag.

Has anyone any experience of this bag for the RT LC 1200 / 1250?  It looks a good bag and I like the larger tanking fitting ring which should be more stable than competitors, main things I'm interested in is stability when loaded and how it follows the contour of the tank, does it sit nice and close or does it look a tad out of place?

Thanks in advance......
OldKid

Re: Givi UT810 Tanklock bag

Post by OldKid »

I'm guessing this query has come too early in the life of the bag.  If I end up going for it I will feed back on the forum unless someone else beats me too it.

Given that some didn't like the size (and indeed price & lack of compartments) of the BMW bag designed to fit the tank rail for the 2010-2013 and earlier RT's I suspect this bag will be too big for many but most of my trips are long ones (sadly not enough of them in the past but virtual retirement will soon fix that :kacsint2: ) where I need to carry a fair load and not just for the ride itself.

Also want to take a look at the [size=12px]Givi UT805 35L & [/size][size=12px]Givi UT806 65L seat / rail bags if anyone has any experience of either will be pleased to hear.[/size]
[size=12px]
[/size]
[size=12px]Cheers[/size]

guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I didn't like losing the rails either or the harnes option for the new bike, so I went the magnetic attachment route with a Hepco & Becker"Street" tankbag (14 - 19 litres) and have found it to be excellent - I fitted mine out with black ester foam for an SLR and lenses etc.Well made and faultless in operation - I just unlatch it to fill up or take the bag with me.
I think there is a locking pin option, but never went for that if I remember rightly.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Cheers Geordielad,

Had wondered about the magnetic option and the Hepco & Becker looks a nice bag, will investigate further, thanks!

Might just take a trip to Givi in Daventry, can extend my look at Givi bags then and will include their magnetic options, will help rack up the first service 500 before heading to France too :kacsint2: .......

guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

France will be great - I'm lucky enough to be retiring in 14 days time beand have a trip planned to the French / Italian Alps in June after a week on the west coast of Ireland - just stunning countryside.Enjoy!
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Congrats re retirementbe. Your trip sounds great......Love France, almost sadly the trip is not dedicated to riding as lucky enough to have a small place out there. Say lucky despite both house and land still requiring lots of work! Will have a very enjoyable ride there & back over two days each way (670 miles) avoiding the toll roads. Have done it all in one day but find the last couple of hundred miles not so enjoyable.  Really looking fwd to the ride and perhaps surprisingly working on the land, love it, but your trip sounds far more exciting :kacsint2: ......enjoy & stay safe....
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

geordielad wrote: I didn't like losing the rails either or the harnes option for the new bike, so I went the magnetic attachment route with a Hepco & Becker"Street" tankbag (14 - 19 litres) and have found it to be excellent - I fitted mine out with black ester foam for an SLR and lenses etc.Well made and faultless in operation - I just unlatch it to fill up or take the bag with me.
I think there is a locking pin option, but never went for that if I remember rightly.

hi Geordielad, just to let you know I tried out some Hepco & Becker bags yesterday:

https://www.hepco-and-becker-luggage.co ... /tank-bags

Love the magnetic attachment and the bags well made, haven't decided yet but I wouldn't have taken a look without you recommend so tanks for that.

For anyone else who is interested these guys are great, very friendly and helpful:

Moto-bins Ltd
16 Surfleet Road
Surfleet,
PE11 4AG
United Kingdom

I took a last (almost emotional) ride out on my 2010RT to their shop and they were brilliant:-).

[align=center]

[size=16px]
[/size]
[/align]
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

glad you thought it worth a look.
Only thing to watch is the small plastic caps for the magnets when the tank bag is not in use - worth tying them together with some fine nylon braid for security.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Cheers again, noted, haven't decided yet but will post when I have......Took possession of the 1250 today & was like a gunslinger without a gun without the tank bag!
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Mentioned i would post once i had decided on a tank bag and have to confess I went for a cheaper option and I believe a discontinued Givi bag from Nippy Normans:

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200gs-ma ... ing-to-fit

There are / were several things I didn't like about it and probably should have sent it back but the bag itself is ok and decent quality & already doing the job it was intended for :) [size=9px].[/size]

This is the review I posted on Nippy Normans site:

[size=14px]Bought this bag for a R1250RT. The bag itself is good quality and relatively cheap but came with a tacky looking / feeling 'cardboardy' bracing sheet that is fed through some sleeves within the bag. The waterproof cover is made of very cheap material that will crack where folded in no time, have thrown this away as I have a good quality cover used with my old 2010 RT BMW bag. The bag comes with a handlebar strap that is not at all suitable for the 1250 but the tank ring (purchased separately is secure) so the strap has been cut off. Lastly (and i may be being paranoid) the required BF17 tank ring seems (to me) slightly too large for the 1250 as the outer edge sits outside the fuel filler cap itself and doesn't come with risers spacers to keep it off the tank.[/size]