Back to an RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Back to an RT

Post by MikeS »

Just joined the forum as Ive returned to being an RT owner. Had a long history with them, starting with an R80RT then K75RT before a R1150RT. Then owned a R1200RT but decided to try a few years on a 1200 GS water-cooled.

Went for a test ride on a 1250RT last week and put a deposit down, hopefully pick it up a week or so.

Looking forward to being a member of the forum.
guest2383

Re: Back to an RT

Post by guest2383 »

Welcome and congratulations on regaining your sanity  :alas: Enjoy!
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Hi Mike, welcome, only recently joined myself, learnt a lot before I did so, seems a great and nicely specific forum. Picking up my 1250 today. Mixed emotions (as you may have) as my 2010 RT has been great but the RT has moved on a long way, biggest step by the first LC 2014 model but too early for me to change then.  Had a last decent and nostalgic ride (240 miles) on current bike yesterday (looking / trying out potential new tankbag as losing the rail system - will post when I find the right one) and part of me wondered why I am changing but sure those thoughts will disappear as soon as i get on the 1250 today :) . The GS's are great bikes, think the more 'manly' looks sell 'em more than the off road option but i've alway been a 'woos' and reckon RT more suitable for touring, think we will both have funbe.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Went to North Oxford BMW to test ride an Adventure thinking that what was what I wanted. Asked to  take the RT out straight afterwards just out of interest and as a comparison. Didn't particularly take to the Adventure on the test, didn't feel too different from my GS. I thought that the weather protection from the screen was pretty bad, awful wind buffeting whatever position it was in. I had a Wunderlich spoiler on mine, that worked well but didn't look too good.

After 5 minutes on the RT I felt at home, riding position seemed natural and the weather protection excellent. Can't beat the electric screen.

Just waiting to for a call to pick it up now. Went for an LE that they had on their stockist as it could have been 8 weeks for one to be built (I've planned a trip to Spain in May). However, asked for the high seat and they tell me that's got to come from Germany which I think is slowing things down.

Mike
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Welcome aboard!  Hope you enjoy the new RT.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MikeS wrote:.... Can't beat the electric screen. Mike

If you think that screen is good, you should try the Weks Quiet Ride screen. For me, it transformed the bike. REALLY nice. Highly recommended.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote: Went to North Oxford BMW to test ride an Adventure thinking that what was what I wanted. Asked to  take the RT out straight afterwards just out of interest and as a comparison. Didn't particularly take to the Adventure on the test, didn't feel too different from my GS. I thought that the weather protection from the screen was pretty bad, awful wind buffeting whatever position it was in. I had a Wunderlich spoiler on mine, that worked well but didn't look too good.

After 5 minutes on the RT I felt at home, riding position seemed natural and the weather protection excellent. Can't beat the electric screen.

Just waiting to for a call to pick it up now. Went for an LE that they had on their stockist as it could have been 8 weeks for one to be built (I've planned a trip to Spain in May). However, asked for the high seat and they tell me that's got to come from Germany which I think is slowing things down.

Mike

Welcome. Ordered mine in Jan, its apparently being built this week for delivery the 1st week of April. Hopefully we will get an extension to Brexit, so my bike isn't sat on a truck in Dover or wherever whilst they sort out what's going on :)
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Just rang Hastings Direct to talk about changing the insurance over. Nice lady tells me that she can't give me a price/quote because the 1250 RT's not on their database.

Interesting because it is on the price comparison websites.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

MikeS wrote: Just rang Hastings Direct to talk about changing the insurance over. Nice lady tells me that she can't give me a price/quote because the 1250 RT's not on their database.

I'm with Hastings direct and had no issue wit same despite the looooooonnnnngggggg wait on the phone.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote: Just rang Hastings Direct to talk about changing the insurance over. Nice lady tells me that she can't give me a price/quote because the 1250 RT's not on their database.

My insurance was up for renewal in Jan and I knew I was buying a 1250 by then, so got a quote for my current bike and for the 1250, so I could go with a company that would do the change for the least cash. There were some massive quotes from some companies. IAM Surety were the most competitive. I just wanted to ensure they would insure me, rather than having to cancel a policy and go with someone else. BMW insurance were the most expensive :)
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Possibly part of the problem is that the bike's not registered with the DVLA till tomorrow so doesn't show up on their database.

OldKid

Post by OldKid »

All very strange, as my 1250 wasn't registered when I arranged the change of insurance (from 1200 to 1250) but it was to take effect once the bike was registered......
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I think sometimes its luck of the draw who you speak to at the call centre.