Computer doesn't recognise Nav 5

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
garr2

Computer doesn't recognise Nav 5

Post by garr2 »

I haver a Nav 5. There are map updates available and i want to download them to my computer & Nav 5. I connect the Nav 5 by USB cable to the computer but a Nav 5 icon does not appear on the desktop and Garmin Express says the Nav 5 is not connected. I have tried disconnecting  and reconnecting the Nav 5, and restarting the computer but to no avail.
I have a Mac desktop running Mojave (10.14.3) and software is up to date.
Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

Ian
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Computer doesn't recognise Nav 5

Post by Rambler358 »

Try different USB cables.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

I have had a simmilar problem on my PC.

I found out that there are two types of usb cables. There are data and power cables and just power cables. Tried a few of the cables I had and now stick to the same cable every time.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

stayingupright wrote: I have had a simmilar problem on my PC.

I found out that there are two types of usb cables. There are data and power cables and just power cables. Tried a few of the cables I had and now stick to the same cable every time.

As above,
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
garr2

Post by garr2 »

Thanks Rambler358, stayingupright & smileymiley for getting back to me.
I tried a couple of other USB cables then returned to the Garmin cable that came with my Nav 5 - still no joy.
I then thought that maybe the cable wasn't making a good connection at the Nav 5 end (male & female fittings)
Gave the male fitting a good wipe and used a toothpick to scrape around inside the female fitting. Crude I know, but when I reconnected everything it worked - the Nav 5 icon appeared on the desktop, Garmin Express said it was connected and I was able to download the updates. It's been pretty humid around here lately or maybe it was just an accumulation of gunk or maybe it was going to work this time anyway. I don't care, it's working.

Ian
austavla
Bike Model and Year: 2015 BMW R1200RT
Norway

Post by austavla »

Hi
I have had the same problem with Nav 5 and now with Nav 6. The solution is to let it stay connected, and it will connect, about 2 minutes to 6 minutes. :-)
It's about the Ride! For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary: for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

austavla wrote: Hi
I have had the same problem with Nav 5 and now with Nav 6. The solution is to let it stay connected, and it will connect, about 2 minutes to 6 minutes. :-)
I never have to wait more than a minute.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have the same problem with my Mac, but if I use the Garmin cable and then bizarrely once connected to the USB port, I go surf the net for a bit and then it suddenly connects. Never failed to connect eventually
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I have had the same problem and finally put it down to impatience!
Everything I connect to a PC or laptop etc, I still expect it to be recognisedimmediately but that's not the case with the Nav V in my experience.
I just connect it up and go and make a cuppa.
:alas:
Pete

Post by Pete »

USB cables are different some are for charging some are for data transfer
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pete wrote: USB cables are different some are for charging some are for data transfer

If you google, you will find the cables are exactly the same, its the thing they connect to that makes the difference, so a usb cable connected to an apple charger will perform differently to it connected to a Maplin plug. But the cable itself is the same. I haven't found any difference when connecting my Nav with the Garmin cable to other cables. My usb cables just sit in a drawer and I just grab one when I need it.

But then again I might have just been very lucky and picked the same Garmin each time, think i might get a lottery ticket this week :)