Coolant expansion bottle vent

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
BeeJay

Coolant expansion bottle vent

Post by BeeJay »

Hello, stripped off some plastic to enable me to run the cables in for an INNOVV C5 camera. Whilst looking at all the bits of the engine that I can't normally see, I noticed that the coolant expansion bottle did not have a pipe on the overflow. Which I think means that if things get too hot then the "excess" coolant will vent over the engine.
Harry at Chester Motorrad sent a diagram showing a pip from top outlet to a pipe at the bottom of the bottle.
Checked mine and the pipe from the bottom of the bottle goes to an outlet just under the radiator cap. Which I think means that if the "system" vents (for whatever reason) the coolant overflows into the expansion bottle.
But what about if the expansion bottle vents??
Has anyone else looked at their coolant system.
Waiting a reply fro Harry
2018 RT1200.
Thanks
:)
BeeJay

Re: Coolant expansion bottle vent

Post by BeeJay »

Harry advises after checking with a techy that that is how the bikes are.
Interesting if anyone has had a look at theirs to see if they are the same.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Although this video is for a GS, it seems to confirm that there is not a pipe connected to the top of the expansion tank, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx8mHniSehQ

Unlike that shown in the parts fiche, same expansion tank for GS & RT.

Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

David, thanks for that. Pehaps they're using up some old stock of expansion bottles.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Should it be required, here is some more evidence from BMWLT that a hose is not connected to the top of the expansion tank, https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/ ... -tank.html

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

BeeJay wrote: Hello, stripped off some plastic to enable me to run the cables in for an INNOVV C5 camera. Whilst looking at all the bits of the engine that I can't normally see, I noticed that the coolant expansion bottle did not have a pipe on the overflow. Which I think means that if things get too hot then the "excess" coolant will vent over the engine.
Harry at Chester Motorrad sent a diagram showing a pip from top outlet to a pipe at the bottom of the bottle.
Checked mine and the pipe from the bottom of the bottle goes to an outlet just under the radiator cap. Which I think means that if the "system" vents (for whatever reason) the coolant overflows into the expansion bottle.
But what about if the expansion bottle vents??
Has anyone else looked at their coolant system.
Waiting a reply fro Harry
2018 RT1200.
Thanks

Hi,
Would appreciate your opinion of the C5 and quality of footage.