Mandatory speed limiters

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Mandatory speed limiters

Post by MikeS »

Watching the BBC News this morning, they covered a story about all vehicles all be fitted with speed limiters in the UK from 2022. They talked about cars and lorries but didn't mention motorbikes.

However, the article on their website states all vehicles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Be interesting to see how this turns out. They mention that the system can be overridden or switched off, so what's the point? People that drive at excessive speeds routinely are simply going to turn it off every time they get in the car.

Beagle

Re: Mandatory speed limiters

Post by Beagle »

MikeS wrote: Watching the BBC News this morning, they covered a story about all vehicles all be fitted with speed limiters in the UK from 2022. They talked about cars and lorries but didn't mention motorbikes.

However, the article on their website states all vehicles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Be interesting to see how this turns out. They mention that the system can be overridden or switched off, so what's the point? People that drive at excessive speeds routinely are simply going to turn it off every time they get in the car.

Sometimes the satnav indicative speed is not the same as actual roadspeed limit eg out of date.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cruise control can already be used to limit speeds.

The signed speed limits are the ones to be observed.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Cruise control can already be used to limit speeds.

The signed speed limits are the ones to be observed.

Does anyone know where does the satnav pickup speed limits. Speedlimiters wont read the signs.  :)
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

http://www.drivingexpert.co.uk/all-abou ... iters.html

My understanding is that the speed limits are incorporated into the mapping software that the sat nav uses.  If they've changed the speed limit on a particular road since the last map update then it gets it wrong. On my Garmin I not sure that even the latest updates get it correct, there must be some delay between changes getting reported and being put onto the maps.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Although the Garmin speed limit information is very accurate, it is still up to you to be sure you continue to look for the speed limit signs on the roads."

"The GPS unit is a tool to ASSIST you with navigating. It is not an absolute. Never rely on it implicitly. And always follow the local signage. The database (whether it be roads, speed limits, or POIs) is NEVER going to be 100% accurate."
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

MikeS wrote: http://www.drivingexpert.co.uk/all-about-active-speed-limiters.html

My understanding is that the speed limits are incorporated into the mapping software that the sat nav uses.  If they've changed the speed limit on a particular road since the last map update then it gets it wrong. On my Garmin I not sure that even the latest updates get it correct, there must be some delay between changes getting reported and being put onto the maps.

I agree with my honourable friend. ( Sorry watching too much Parliament  :) )
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Beagle wrote:
Does anyone know where does the satnav pickup speed limits. Speedlimiters wont read the signs.  :)

Some cars have systems that read the speed limit signs. Not driven one so no idea how well they work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32049350
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

PeteM wrote:
Some cars have systems that read the speed limit signs. Not driven one so no idea how well they work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32049350
I've got a Mondeo with sign recognition on it - pretty good most of the time and shows more than just the speed limit signs - it can show up to two different signs at once although I have to say, it doesn't always do that.Just waiting for it to be collected this morning as I am retiring today  :clap: :clap:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

PeteM wrote:Some cars have systems that read the speed limit signs.
Interesting, when there is a reduction in the signed speed limit, you need to be at the new lower speed limit before or as you pass the sign.

Likewise, where the speed limit increases, your speed needs to be maintained until you've passed the sign before accelerating.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

So let me see if I have this correct. Technology has given drivers a system where the speed limit road signs show on the dashboard. So while the driver is looking head inside the car he misses a possible danger outside car. Looking outside he sees the speed sign and the danger. Sounds like another crappy safety idea to me. Automating speed will IMHO not reduce accidents. It will make drivers even more dozy. All that will happen is that accidents will occur at the legal speed limit it will not prevent them. If you want to reduce road accidents then improve driving standards !

Automation in the aircraft world has sadly just caused two fatal accidents. The Boeing 737Max anti-stall system failure has flown the aircraft into the ground. When I was flying we were taught how to recognise a stall and flying the aircraft away from it. Yes we had stall warning systems but the aircraft did not takeover from the pilot. The automatic system was the pilot. As you take the human away from control the ability to recognise a situation and take appropriate action diminishes. This is not to say some automatic safety system are bad. Antilock bake systems for one is a good system.

Making drivers detached from driving is going to be a place I don't want to be. Unfortunately we are all already there in so many ways.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Levisp wrote:If you want to reduce road accidents then improve driving standards.
Post test training with the likes of IAM, RoSPA or others would be a good start.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Post test training with the likes of IAM, RoSPA or others would be a good start.

Child runs out in front of your bike in a 30 limit, nothing you can do to avoid hitting it but sadly the child dies.

You are doing 30mph....... its not your fault.

You are doing more than 30 mph......... you are charged with causing death by dangerous driving.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Speed limits are maximums not minimums.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Beagle wrote:
Child runs out in front of your bike in a 30 limit, nothing you can do to avoid hitting it but sadly the child dies.

You are doing 30mph....... its not your fault.

You are doing more than 30 mph......... you are charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

Yes, but if you were doing more than 30mph you'd have already gone past when the child ran out. Therefore saving the child's life.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)