Green Card

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Green Card

Post by MikeS »

Got an email from Hastings today to let me know that I might need a green card to ride abroad after March 28th.

They mention that's its only valid for 15 days (but can be extended) and has to be delivered by post rather than email.

I'm off to Spain in May so will have to make plans to get one, they don't mention the cost.

Anybody else had something similar from their insurer?

Mike

Toddy

Re: Green Card

Post by Toddy »

£12.50 for a Green Card from Admiral, arrived in three days.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

£12.50. Is that for 15 days cover or longer?

Mike
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Got an email from 'quote me happy' saying I'd need a green card for travelling to Europe, I can order one via the app and it'll be posted next day free of charge, not had anything from my bike insurance yet though? 'bikesure'.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Green Card from Bennetts is free, apparently. email to [email protected] send my policy No, Reg No, arrival leaving date. HTH
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

MikeS wrote: Got an email from Hastings today to let me know that I might need a green card to ride abroad after March 28th.

They mention that's its only valid for 15 days (but can be extended) and has to be delivered by post rather than email.

I'm off to Spain in May so will have to make plans to get one, they don't mention the cost.

Anybody else had something similar from their insurer?

Mike

Hi Mike, had same from Hastings, applied via their web site arrived pretty quickly and is valid for 3 months.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Even if there is a no exit from the EU, I would make sure that you get a Green Card.

When I was living in the UK, and we were travelling to the in-laws, we always had a Green Card.

It is saves discussions whether or not you were adequately covered.

Best regards, Sleuth
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Forgot to add was free from Hastings........
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

OldKid wrote: Forgot to add was free from Hastings........

Cheers. I'll get it sorted this week. Before they work out its a potential income generator and start charging.

Mike
winglider

Post by winglider »

I have just phoned up my Insurance company and asked about issuing me with a green card, as we are meant to be leaving the EU at sometime this year ! ! !ImageImage

As I am planning to do several of the EURO trips. I thought it was a good Idea to get something sorted out,
Now this is where it gets very interesting. I was informed that my insurers, that shall remain nameless at the moment. That they only issue green cards for individual trips with specific dates and are charging £15.00 per card per trip. I asked if I could have a card for the year? Computer say's NO ImageImageImage
I pointed out that I had read on the internet that, there were several insurance companies issuing green cards free of charge. I informed that I thought they were taking advantage of the current situation. ImageImageThe young lady explained that due to the increase in paperwork, at the moment due to requests for green cards that they had to make a charge.
I told her I felt that they were ripping me off. (I already pay a lot for comprehensive insurance).I asked her to register an official complaint as a customer which she agreed to do. (I wonder what my insurance will cost me next year).

She then asked if she could call me back as she wanted to speak to their underwriters directly on this matter.

While I was waiting for her to call me back, I went on line and found that one of the major UK underwriters issue Green cards FOC. Unfortunately not mine who shall also remain nameless at the moment (but power to my argument).ImageImage
A short while later I got the phone call back from Devitts (bugger now I’ve given the insurers name away). I was informed that the underwriters Aviva, (bugger done it again) had agreed to issue me with a green card for the remainder of the year and it would be issued free of charge.ImageImageImage
I hate complaining but sometimes it works.
PS
When are we leaving the EU?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

winglider wrote: .....
A short while later I got the phone call back from Devitts (bugger now I’ve given the insurers name away). I was informed that the underwriters Aviva, (bugger done it again) had agreed to issue me with a green card for the remainder of the year and it would be issued free of charge.
I hate complaining but sometimes it works.
PS
When are we leaving the EU?

My insurer has advised me : 
"[size=4px]As we are unsure what is happening at the moment regarding leaving the EU we would advise you order a green card through us to cover you for your trip, there is a £15 charge for this and it will cover you until your renewal date"[/size]
[size=4px]Looks like I need to phone up and complain !  [/size] ;D
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

OldKid wrote: Forgot to add was free from Hastings........

Applied via Hasting website, 2 hours later green card available to print in my documents page on their site. No charge and as Oldkid said, valid for 3 months. Copy to follow in the post.

Hope they're as efficient if I ever have to make a claim.