Ilium Bar Back Problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Norcal1

Ilium Bar Back Problem

Post by Norcal1 »

Help needed. I installed my Ilium bar backs last night on my 2019 1250RT. Every thing when well until I went to start and nothing. In fact all the buttons on that side of the bars are dead (case lock, mode, starter button) there is no power at all. So I am assuming I disconnected something in the housing. [/font][/size]So I have two questions: Is there a plug inside the housing or is it soldered wires? How do you open the housing up? I only see one screw and it looks like it goes to the throttle.[/size]Any help would be much appreciated. I live 40 miles to the dealership and do not want to pay for towing of a bike that is only a week old, this will not be a warranty issue because I caused it. Thanks in advance for any help.[/size]

[/font][/size]
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Ilium Bar Back Problem

Post by David. »

Norcal1 wrote:In fact all the buttons on that side of the bars are dead (case lock, mode, starter button) there is no power at all.
Does the switch look like this one.

Norcal1 wrote:I live 40 miles to the dealership and do not want to pay for towing of a bike that is only a week old, this will not be a warranty issue because I caused it.
How about, remove the bar backs, then give the dealer a call.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norcal1

Post by Norcal1 »

Yes, that is it. Ya I thought about removing and calling the dealer. But if I can fix it by just re pluging a wire in that would be eaiser.
Attachments
switch.jpg
Last edited by Norcal1 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Norcal1 wrote:Is there a plug inside the housing or is it soldered wires?
Have a look at the photos in this ebay advert for a 2014 RHS switch, might give some clues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-BMW-R12 ... 3764487535
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

When you open the right "multi-function switch" (as BMW calls it),you will see two plugs: a long thin one and another squarish one. The former is the heated grip feed, while the second is most likely what got unplugged/damaged as it's the switch connection to the wiring harness. Be careful about two things:1)These "new style" switches are non-serviceable items unless you have very small hands, know exactly what you are doing and have access to a good waterproofing lacquer2)It's very easy to damage the plastic housings by overtightening the screws. The screws need to barely "go in": factory spec torque is 0.5Nm which is really nothing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ElPolloDiablo wrote:When you open the right "multi-function switch", you will see two plugs: a long thin one and another squarish one.

Does it look like this.
Norcal1

Post by Norcal1 »

Thanks guys I now see it is a plug. I am betting that is just came unpluged. But yes those pictures helped. I did call the dealership and they are to have a mechanic call me back to let me know if it is as easy as taking out the screw and re plugging.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

BMW will probably sue me into penury for this but here we go...
The plug you want to check is #2.
Norcal1

Post by Norcal1 »

Thanks ElpolloDiablo, This should be an easy fix. [size=4px]
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Let's hope it's just something as mundane as a disconnected plug.  :)
Norcal1

Post by Norcal1 »

Thank a lot guys. It was just a disconnected plug. Plugged it back and everything works as it should.