Mandatory speed limiters

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Mandatory speed limiters

Post by BoB21 »

Im with Simbo on this one :))
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

simbo wrote:
Yes, but if you were doing more than 30mph you'd have already gone past when the child ran out. Therefore saving the child's life.

Wouldnt bank on it.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

geordielad wrote: I've got a Mondeo with sign recognition on it - pretty good most of the time and shows more than just the speed limit signs - it can show up to two different signs at once although I have to say, it doesn't always do that.Just waiting for it to be collected this morning as I am retiring today  :clap: :clap:

Congrat's re your retirement, enjoybe....

I'm not too far behind you :kacsint2: ......
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

MikeS wrote: Watching the BBC News this morning, they covered a story about all vehicles all be fitted with speed limiters in the UK from 2022. They talked about cars and lorries but didn't mention motorbikes.

However, the article on their website states all vehicles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Be interesting to see how this turns out. They mention that the system can be overridden or switched off, so what's the point? People that drive at excessive speeds routinely are simply going to turn it off every time they get in the car.

That article is a little scary, particularly as i'm looking fwd to some quick (where appropriate to do so) but safe riding on the 1250 hopefully beyond 2022.  However 30, 40 & 50 limits are normally there for good reasons and kiddies often one of them (for 30 limits) so I try to adhere to these limits (often going even slower where a kiddy might pop out) and believe we all should do.  However the open road is another matter & some roads lend themselves to quicker riding where appropriate as long as we are riding within our limits, not offending / disturbing other road users and can see far enough ahead for the speed we are going.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

OldKid wrote:
That article is a little scary, particularly as i'm looking fwd to some quick (where appropriate to do so) but safe riding on the 1250 hopefully beyond 2022.  However 30, 40 & 50 limits are normally there for good reasons and kiddies often one of them (for 30 limits) so I try to adhere to these limits (often going even slower where a kiddy might pop out) and believe we all should do.  However the open road is another matter & some roads lend themselves to quicker riding where appropriate as long as we are riding within our limits, not offending / disturbing other road users and can see far enough ahead for the speed we are going.

Pretty much mirrors what I do - I could not count the amount of times I've had vehicles a couple of feet off my back wheel/bumper because I am not going fast enough when going through a village where there are kids, pets etc around but then when we get to a nice open clear road they chug along at 40