Here we go - 1250 Calliper issues

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Here we go - 1250 Calliper issues

Post by Casbar »

Bit of light reading on the UKGSER forum, but also on the 1200/1250 facebook page - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... er-leakage

In a nut shell looks like there is an issue with the front Callipers leaking. Bikes have been taken off the road as not safe to ride as there doesn't seem to be any spares in the UK. BMW are aware and monitoring :)

Beta testing again at its best. Callipers are the same on the GS and RTs and some RT owners have had this issue already. I know, never buy a bike when it is launched, can't wait for mine in a couple of weeks - lol
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Here we go - 1250 Calliper issues

Post by BoB21 »

Don't worry the backs a Brembo.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I'll keep an eye on mine and ask the dealer about it at the running service. How many cases need to be reported for it to be treated as safety recall?

My GS was subject to the fork recall, got a letter through telling me that I needed to contact the dealer and arrange a prompt inspection. Got it inspected but then there weren't enough uprated parts in the country to fix. Went on the waiting list and got it sorted months later.

On a separate note, regarding your post on another forum. Interesting, how a simple typo resulted in someone taking  a "dig" at you. Why, what was their point?
Last edited by MikeS on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldKid

Post by OldKid »

Thanks Casbar,

Still very early days for mine but will keep an eye on it too and mention at first service this Thurs.

Won't be such a big step up for you when you get your 1250 but I'm absolutely luvvin the engine and ridebe[size=78%],[/size] if admittedly reminiscing about the better build quality and more of the 2010RT.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It's like all this stuff, 3 or 4 reported issues out of probably 100 bikes, so I'm not worried. Apparently Hayes knew about this and have sorted, but there are still some bikes with the callipers that have the issue, whatever it is :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote: It's like all this stuff, 3 or 4 reported issues out of probably 100 bikes, so I'm not worried. Apparently Hayes knew about this and have sorted, but there are still some bikes with the callipers that have the issue, whatever it is :)

Some think this is a problem, I used to deal with Alert/Recalls on a very modern Fastjet. This believe me is not a problem.
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

To be a fly on the wall (armed with a tiny voice recorder) at the meeting when it was decided to do away with Brembo, Nissin or Sumitomo brake calipers to literally save pennies or to force people to buy OE brake pads...  ;)
I have never heard of a brand new brake caliper leaking fluid in almost 30 years of riding. Blown shock absorbers, broken water pumps, disintegrating wheel bearings, poorly assembled gearboxes... I have seen and heard almost everything on brand new bikes, but this is truly a first. I know BMW will fix this quickly and efficiently and that it affects only a tiny number of bikes but I honestly hope somebody will learn a valuable lesson here...  ;D
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ElPolloDiablo wrote: To be a fly on the wall (armed with a tiny voice recorder) at the meeting when it was decided to do away with Brembo, Nissin or Sumitomo brake calipers to literally save pennies or to force people to buy OE brake pads...  ;)
I have never heard of a brand new brake caliper leaking fluid in almost 30 years of riding. Blown shock absorbers, broken water pumps, disintegrating wheel bearings, poorly assembled gearboxes... I have seen and heard almost everything on brand new bikes, but this is truly a first. I know BMW will fix this quickly and efficiently and that it affects only a tiny number of bikes but I honestly hope somebody will learn a valuable lesson here...  ;D

If you look on the UKGSER thread, there is a bloke on there who had the same issue on a new Ducati with Brembo callipers. Hayes have been making callipers for many years and Harley have been fitting them also for many years with no issues, so its not exactly a new manufacturer and unless someone knows the ins and outs, how do we know the reasoning for dumping Brembo, are Hayes callipers that much cheaper, I have no idea :)
guest5886

Post by guest5886 »

Casbar wrote:
If you look on the UKGSER thread, there is a bloke on there who had the same issue on a new Ducati with Brembo callipers. Hayes have been making callipers for many years and Harley have been fitting them also for many years with no issues, so its not exactly a new manufacturer and unless someone knows the ins and outs, how do we know the reasoning for dumping Brembo, are Hayes callipers that much cheaper, I have no idea :)
Yes, yes whatever you say.I won't bother you anymore.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ElPolloDiablo wrote: Yes, yes whatever you say.I won't bother you anymore.

I didn't set out to upset you, you made a statement and I informed you that other manufactures have also had issues with callipers. I do not know the reason for the calliper change, it is probable its cost related, but it could also be supply or another reason. Hayes are not new to brake manufacture.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

MikeS wrote:
On a separate note, regarding your post on another forum. Interesting, how a simple typo resulted in someone taking  a "dig" at you. Why, what was their point?
It's UKGSer.....that's what it's like over there! I pay my subs to get access to the very busy Classifieds section, but very rarely post anything - if you fancy an argument, about absolutely anything, UKGSer will supply one!  :)

Pete
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

milleplod wrote: It's UKGSer.....that's what it's like over there! I pay my subs to get access to the very busy Classifieds section, but very rarely post anything - if you fancy an argument, about absolutely anything, UKGSer will supply one!  :)

Pete

Yes, UKGSER is like that, you think I would have learnt now not to respond, but sometimes I get caught up with the same people. You will find its generally the same group who snipe, keyboard warriors. That's why we must try and keep this place civil, spirited debate is fine, and I know in the past it has sometimes degenerated, but on the whole its very civilised here :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
Yes, UKGSER is like that, you think I would have learnt now not to respond, but sometimes I get caught up with the same people. You will find its generally the same group who snipe, keyboard warriors. That's why we must try and keep this place civil, spirited debate is fine, and I know in the past it has sometimes degenerated, but on the whole its very civilised here :)

+1  :)
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

I didn't bother to renew my subs about a month ago and am very happy to be free of the place although the classifieds could be useful at times.Just as much knowledge on here in my opinion and much more civilised. ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Casbar wrote:

Yes, and we all have to contribute and work together to keep it this way :-)
Steinar