Nav 6 Battery

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
MEM62

Nav 6 Battery

Post by MEM62 »

Any way to prevent a Nav6 battery going flat - even when removed from the cradle and turned off via the power button? 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav 6 Battery

Post by Casbar »

MEM62 wrote: Any way to prevent a Nav6 battery going flat - even when removed from the cradle and turned off via the power button?

No. All Lithium batteries will eventually drain after a period even when they are off. My battery will last just over a month if the device is completely off and not in standby. So I just charge it up every month if I'm not using it.
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

yes, I agree - same goes for my comms unit, GoPro, remotes etc.
Always try to remember to charge them a day or two before so as not to be disappointed!
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

My old Zumo 400 has been off the bike since last October - it was fully charged the day I brought it into the house. I've just fired it up to put a couple of custom routes onto it, it still shows fully charged. The battery was new last March.
Pete
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

My Nav V's the same, fully charged coming out of the cradle then virtually flat after 3 or 4 weeks if not used.

Was wondering whether it was a battery memory effect due to being constantly partially charged when in use. However, I don't think that lithium batteries suffer from this. I have read you should allow them to fully discharge every 30 charges or so to keep them conditioned.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

milleplod wrote: My old Zumo 400 has been off the bike since last October - it was fully charged the day I brought it into the house. I've just fired it up to put a couple of custom routes onto it, it still shows fully charged. The battery was new last March.
Pete
Likewise my Zumo 660 battery will still show full after months of inactivity.  (And I thought the Nav VI would be an upgrade)  Oh well....... I guess I just have to live with it.   
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:My old Zumo 400 has been off the bike since last October. The battery was new last March.
That sounds like an old GPS unit, (launched in 2007),  how long did the original battery last.

My Zumo 660 is now 8 years old and still on it's original battery.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

David. wrote: That sounds like an old GPS unit, (launched in 2007), how long did the original battery last.

My Zumo 660 is now 8 years old and still on it's original battery.
I reckon it lasted around 9 years but tbh it was still going strong, I only replaced it as I spotted a genuine replacement on Amazon for peanuts.
Pete