GPS

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Pabst

Re: GPS

Post by Pabst »

jackronner wrote: Guys, I omitted a central question:  if I use a cell phone, do these map apps give you voice directions?  Don't wanna die looking at my device and piling into a stopped truck, etc.  I'd use an earphone jack.

If you use Google Maps they do, just download your area where you'll be, (I have all of California loaded on mine) you don't even need to use data or buy a cell phone plan if the phone has GPS built in, which most do.  Google offline maps are great, they won't show traffic updates offline but will do everything else.  I use my old iPhone for a gps occasionally.  The maps last for 30 days and you must update them, you cannot do it using cell data, it must be done with wifi for some reason but the good news is you don't need a data plan if you use wifi. 
Pabst

Post by Pabst »

Pabst wrote:
If you use Google Maps they do, just download your area where you'll be, (I have all of California loaded on mine) you don't even need to use data or buy a cell phone plan if the phone has GPS built in, which most do.  Google offline maps are great, they won't show traffic updates offline but will do everything else.  I use my old iPhone for a gps occasionally.  The maps last for 30 days and you must update them, you cannot do it using cell data, it must be done with wifi for some reason but the good news is you don't need a data plan if you use wifi.  You can also call 911 without a cell plan.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Good news.  Thanks for the Pabst blue ribbon advice (sorry, I'm sure this ain't the first time you've heard that one;  but try growing up with the name Jack!)
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

milleplod wrote: I still use a Windows phone - I installed HERE Drive+, which is absolutely free and gives you access to world maps...just download what you need. It's also available for Android phones and, I believe, IoS. The maps are stored on the phone, so no data connection required and, as long as the phone has built-in GPS of course, phone reception isn't required for navigation. Used Windows phones are so cheap these days, you could buy one, with the requisite case and mount, to use as a cheap, dedicated navigation unit.
Pete

Pete

This app is also available on Android phones but is called "Here We go". It's worth getting a phone with a SD card for additional memory as some of the downloadable maps can be sizeable.
It gives very clear voice instructions and works just as well as a dedicated satnav in my experience. I use it in the car both in this country and abroad, never had a problem.
The only limitation I've found is that you do need some data if you want to do specific searches such as hotels or restaurants, these don't tend to be on the downloaded database.

Mike
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Just to make you aware I believe ear pieces are illegal in france and maybe some other European country's. You can use speakers just not ones that go in the ear.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

BoB21 wrote: Just to make you aware I believe ear pieces are illegal in france and maybe some other European country's. You can use speakers just not ones that go in the ear.

Don't go down the route of buying cheap helmet speakers off Ebay. I did a few years ago and they were terrible, the volume was dire. Impossible to hear anything over 20 mph. Bit the bullet and bought a Sena, which I should have done in the first place.
Attachments
3-5mm-motorcycle-helmet-speakers-bluetooth.jpg
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: Guys, I omitted a central question:  if I use a cell phone, do these map apps give you voice directions?  Don't wanna die looking at my device and piling into a stopped truck, etc.  I'd use an earphone jack.

Yes, and you can use either cable ear piece or blu-tooth
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Both TomTom and Sygic apps have full voice directions. They work just the same as dedicated SatNavs. One point worth mentioning is that in my experience both this apps work very well on newer iPhone for me thats the 8+. Before that I had an ancient iPhone 4s and though the apps work the gps was a little slower and accuracy was not as good. The big advantage of Sygic over TomTom is that you can save routes on Sygic. Also if you subscribe to MyRoute App website you can sync routes from computer to Sygic App. Nice feature to be able to design a route on your computer and then transfer to phone.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Youy have just splashed the cash on the latest RT. Why not just buy the matching Nav6 unit to go with it. SO much better than using a phone. Phone not too clever in the wet either.