Power to a st605 GIVI tank bad.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
winglider

Power to a st605 GIVI tank bad.

Post by winglider »

I have just purchased a Givi ST605 locking tank bag and I want to add a power supply to the bag via a Givi S111 power hub, But I want to cut off the coax plug on the Givi power inlet lead, And change it for the Nippy Normans  Part No: BAS-BA12, So I can plug it into the BMW Canbus plug point. All I want it for is charging my Phone, camera, and Sena video camera.
Would this cause a problem for the canbus system and put it into error ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers Steve.     
Last edited by winglider on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Re: Power to a st605 GIVI tank bad.

Post by David. »

The Givi S111 power hub is normally supplied by an S110 power inlet lead which is a fused (12v supply) to be bolted on the bike battery.

The bike power socket(s) (Canbus plug point) is also 12v, therefore, IMO, don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, providing the current draw isn't greater than that of the on-board socket, usually 10A.

S111 Power Hub

S110

BAS-BA12
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CliveJ
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt lc. 2014
Great Britain

Post by CliveJ »

Why not fit the dual usb socket from Nippy Norman’s GZM-UBPS01 to replace the din socket, takes minutes to do as it is a straight swap.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GZM-UBPS01
winglider

Post by winglider »

Thanks for the replies;
Being new to BMW and this canbus lark, I was not sure what the deal was for pulling power out of the canbus plug. I wondered if you had to have a special bit of kit in your phone charging wiring to stop the canbus system going into error.  But as pointed out so long as I don’t go over 10amp I should be OK  :wonder:
What I have decided to do is I have purchased the Givi ST605 tank bag and the S111 power hub. I can pass the connector through the waterproof  gland nut, so I can then make the connection for three USB port Block in the bag. This will allow me to charge up my phone, camera or tablet in the bag while I am touring. I have also ordered a canbus plug from nippy Normans. When this arrives I will cut off one of the plugs on the power supply lead and replace it with the canbus plug, so I can get the power from the canbus socket. Plus this would look nice and neat, this also keeps it quick to remove the bag from the bike and unplug it. 8)
I didn’t want to connect anything further directly to the battery. I already have an auxiliary fuse box running 2 lots of heated clothing, a small compressor for if I get a puncher, and a second satnav (I intend to do a lot of long distance rides this summer).  And the wiring for the Optimate.
I think I should just have enough room for Passport and paper work for trip etc. A small first aid kit, spare bulbs & Fuses, spare glasses, Puncher repair kit & 12v Rockey Creek compressor. If I’m lucky
That's lot if I can fit it in will probably put the bag over is 2.5 kilo weight limit.  :alas: