fuel smell

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
FRY600d

fuel smell

Post by FRY600d »

Hi i have a 2014 RT which i have had for a few months.It has always smelt of petrol.i assumed i could smell from the breather.But i am beginning think it has a slight leak.i am asking the forum if theirs smell or is this unusual.

Thanks Carl
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Re: fuel smell

Post by michaelc2710 »

Hi Karl
I've got a LC also but never smell fuel apart from once when the cap hadn't closed fully.
It had closed and the lock engaged but after smelling fuel a few times when riding I removed tank bag and had a good look.

The cap was slightly raised up (but locked in place) and wouldn't open but when I pushed down it seamed to click down fully. Smell went away.

May be worth checking the seal on the cap/neck

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

michaelc2710 wrote: Hi Karl
I've got a LC also but never smell fuel apart from once when the cap hadn't closed fully.
It had closed and the lock engaged but after smelling fuel a few times when riding I removed tank bag and had a good look.

The cap was slightly raised up (but locked in place) and wouldn't open but when I pushed down it seamed to click down fully. Smell went away.

May be worth checking the seal on the cap/neck

+1
Bakumackem

Post by Bakumackem »

If t,his is still an issue I can offer that on my previous 2013 GS TE I had the same issue. After much fanning around by the dealer it was found that the tank had distorted and over time developed a leak at the interface between the nozzle and the tank.

Tank was replaced and was an instant fix
Previously owned a 2014 GS TE and a 2007 Duc 999.