Leathers

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Leathers

Post by MikeS »

Got my leathers trousers out from under the stairs yesterday which I haven't worn for the 3 year odd years of GS ownership. Now Ive got an RT again I thought go back to the textile jacket and leather trousers combination.
It was surprising how much difference it made to the ride, felt more planted/comfortable on the seat and less sliding about when braking or coming off the throttle.
However, the 4 year old Bikers Paradise trousers Ive got aren't a good fit. OK on the waist but baggy around the thighs and knees. The leather seems a little thin in places as well.
So I'm after  recommendations on what to look at now, ideally I'd like to get some made to measure but I think the cost may be prohibitive. BKS seem to be the gold standard but on the website start at around £600. Scott are cheaper but what's the quality like? Yet to look at Hideout.

Any feedback or personal experience welcome.

Mike

PeteM

Re: Leathers

Post by PeteM »

Hideout every time.

They are currently adjusting my wife's new jacket to make it fit perfectly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

MikeS wrote: Got my leathers trousers out from under the stairs yesterday which I haven't worn for the 3 year odd years of GS ownership. Now Ive got an RT again I thought go back to the textile jacket and leather trousers combination.
It was surprising how much difference it made to the ride, felt more planted/comfortable on the seat and less sliding about when braking or coming off the throttle.
However, the 4 year old Bikers Paradise trousers Ive got aren't a good fit. OK on the waist but baggy around the thighs and knees. The leather seems a little thin in places as well.
So I'm after  recommendations on what to look at now, ideally I'd like to get some made to measure but I think the cost may be prohibitive. BKS seem to be the gold standard but on the website start at around £600. Scott are cheaper but what's the quality like? Yet to look at Hideout.

Any feedback or personal experience welcome.

Mike

Just bought the Rokker jeans. They are dear but if you read the blurb they are very technical. Very impressed with the fit and quality and they are Swiss made. Youtube vid is good.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Beagle wrote:
Just bought the Rokker jeans. They are dear but if you read the blurb they are very technical. Very impressed with the fit and quality and they are Swiss made. Youtube vid is good.

What are they like on the bike? My enduroguard trousers are quite "slippery" on the seat, a little bit of braking and I slide forwards. Leathers just hold me in place.

B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I wear Halvarsson leather jeans in cool/moderate weather and Rokker chinos in hot weather. Both are really high quality products which will last for years , fit really well ,and give a very high level of comfort and protection. I bought mine at Motolegends in Godalming (it's best to visit to check the fit rather than ordering online as neither can be altered)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bought a pair of BKS made to measure leather trousers last year. Top kit, really pleased with them, very comfortable. Had a few extras, bill was nearer to £900, but they will last longer than me :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

MikeS wrote:
What are they like on the bike? My enduroguard trousers are quite "slippery" on the seat, a little bit of braking and I slide forwards. Leathers just hold me in place.

Just got them and will be using them this weekend, but they just feel like ordinaryjeans with hip and knee protectors.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Casbar wrote: Bought a pair of BKS made to measure leather trousers last year. Top kit, really pleased with them, very comfortable. Had a few extras, bill was nearer to £900, but they will last longer than me :)

Blimey, 900 quid. How many trips to Exmouth did it take to get the measurements/ final fit?

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote:
Blimey, 900 quid. How many trips to Exmouth did it take to get the measurements/ final fit?

Just one, he also measured my for a jacket, in case I win the lottery :) I went for stretch panels, perforated leather for air flow, D30 level 2 armour and cool max lining. But a real quality bit of kit, like someone said on another forum, we think nothing of spending ££££ on bikes, but then don't like spending on quality kit. Not sure I'm going to go for a jacket though, as I wear my textile jacket with the trousers and in the summer, I wear a airflow jacket.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I always wear the combination of textile jacket/leather trousers (or Jods as they were known in my last job). I had a couple of sets made up for me by CROWTREE leathers in Louth, Lincs., over 20 years ago.

They do keep the heat in warm weather but for me they're far more comfortable and safer than textile trousers.

By repute BKS do top class leathers and I believe they have supplied several Police Forces.
Last edited by Steve398 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Steve398 wrote: I always wear the combination of textile jacket/leather trousers (or Jods as they were known in my last job). I had a couple of sets made up for me by CROWTREE leathers in Louth, Lincs., 20 years ago and still going strong.

They do keep the heat in warm weather but for me they're far more comfortable and safer than textile trousers.

By repute BKS do top class leathers and I believe they have supplied several Police Forces.

I thought Crowtree had stopped trading a few years ago.  I seem to remember reading that the owner had retired and then sadly died. Might be wrong however.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

MikeS wrote:
I thought Crowtree had stopped trading a few years ago.  I seem to remember reading that the owner had retired and then sadly died. Might be wrong however.

No, sadly you’re right. Alec passed several years ago having retired and then returned to work ‘cos he missed it so much. Lovely people and superb craftsmen.
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

hells bells, £900. My Akito leather trousers cost me £20 of flea bay seven years ago. they were as new when I purchased them, fit perfectly and still look good. I always wear them with a textile jacket and find this to be the best combination that suits me. seldom too warm, and always warm enoung in winter when worn with thermal base layer.
happy riding folks.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I suppose the only time  you'll  really find out if your kits worth the money is when you slide down the road in it:

[size=2px]https://www.bksleather.co.uk/news/police-biker-crash[/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

heathy65 wrote: hells bells, £900. My Akito leather trousers cost me £20 of flea bay seven years ago. they were as new when I purchased them, fit perfectly and still look good. I always wear them with a textile jacket and find this to be the best combination that suits me. seldom too warm, and always warm enoung in winter when worn with thermal base layer.
happy riding folks.

Some great bargains on eBay, have bought a airflow jacket that was nearly new for a snip. It's like all this stuff, you never know how good the kit is until it's too late. I have spent £1000s on bikes over the years, but tend to keep my riding gear until its past its serviceable date. A good helmet is probably the thick end of £500 so for me a good pair of leather trousers is worth the money. I am now nearly a year into ownership of my BKS trousers and I can say, I am still very impressed, they are comfortable still look like new, even though I have ridden probably 10k miles in them. I would consider a jacket, but I wear my Rukka jacket most of the time and like the rain protection of textile.