Low battery icon at startup

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
RTKev

Low battery icon at startup

Post by RTKev »

Hi, I have a question, My 2012 R1200RT has been showing the low battery icon at start up. Today I checked the battery voltage after it had stood for a week and showed a voltage of 12.9 volts, I then checked the voltage at the starter solenoid and that showed the same.
        Put the GS911 on and did an autoscan that threw up a couple of codes first one in Integral ABS 2 CAN = 24052 Electrical system under-voltage. the fault is not present now.  the second pair were 41735/41737 left and right indicators open circuit. fault is not present now. the starter motor always sounds a bit sluggish although the bike starts first time. have I got anything to worry about?

TIA Kevin.
Beagle

Re: Low battery icon at startup

Post by Beagle »

RTKev wrote: Hi, I have a question, My 2012 R1200RT has been showing the low battery icon at start up. Today I checked the battery voltage after it had stood for a week and showed a voltage of 12.9 volts, I then checked the voltage at the starter solenoid and that showed the same.
        Put the GS911 on and did an autoscan that threw up a couple of codes first one in Integral ABS 2 CAN = 24052 Electrical system under-voltage. the fault is not present now.  the second pair were 41735/41737 left and right indicators open circuit. fault is not present now. the starter motor always sounds a bit sluggish although the bike starts first time. have I got anything to worry about?

TIA Kevin.

Could it be a bad earth somewhere. Battery is good.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What does the battery voltage drop to when the bike is being started, i.e. under load conditions, not just stood idle at 12.9 volts.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTKev

Post by RTKev »

Meter reads 10.05 for a millisecond while starting, battery is two months old.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

RTKev wrote: Meter reads 10.05 for a millisecond while starting, battery is two months old.

Thats ok, my money’s on a bad earth.
RTKev

Post by RTKev »

Thanks for the quick response, I'll go earth hunting tomorrow.

Cheers, Kev.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTKev wrote:Battery is two months old.
What make & part no. is the battery.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTKev

Post by RTKev »

Exide gel 12-19, same as was fitted when I bought it. I replaced it because of the low battery warning but as you know it didn't make any difference, I suspect the one sitting in the garage was OK but I didn't know how long it had been fitted so replaced it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTKev wrote:My 2012 R1200RT has been showing the low battery icon at start up.
Found this posted in another thread, unfortunately there were no replies.
Sullivj wrote:When I start my 2012, the battery warning light appears for a few seconds after the bike has started.

Is this 'normal', or indicative of a failing battery?
Just fitted a new battery to my 2012 TC, I'll have to check whether the battery icon shows on start up.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

My R1200RT used to show the battery icon at start up, if I blipped the throttle it would go away and not come back. If it is the same problem I don't think it is an issue, I think it is just ECU not having sorted out what is going on after the high drain of start up.

And by the way the Battery warning symbol does not indicate low battery, it indicates battery is draining, i.e. current requirement is greater than alternator output.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just fired up my 2012 TC, the battery icon does show when pushing the starter button. At idle, it remains on for a few seconds, then goes out, this is normal operation.

If there is a problem with the alternator output to the battery, the general warning light shows red, plus the battery symbol appears on the display.
RTKev

Post by RTKev »

OK thanks, it would seem pretty normal then, My battery is good, the alternator is charging, and the battery icon only shows for a second or two, so I am calling it fixed be I think what I said was a sluggish starter motor is just the fact I came from a Kawasaki ZX9r and twins seem to turn over slower generally, I'll keep checking back for the fault codes that pop up.

Thanks, Kev.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

RTKev wrote: OK thanks, it would seem pretty normal then, My battery is good, the alternator is charging, and the battery icon only shows for a second or two, so I am calling it fixed be I think what I said was a sluggish starter motor is just the fact I came from a Kawasaki ZX9r and twins seem to turn over slower generally, I'll keep checking back for the fault codes that pop up.

The other thing you need to be aware of if new to boxers is if you leave it on the side stand for an extended period oil can pool in the left cylinder which can make it very sluggish to turnover. Not a problem over night but if I am leaving my bike for any longer I use the centre stand
RTKev

Post by RTKev »

Thanks PeteM I'll bear that in mind.

Regards, Kev.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

My 2012 behaves in the same way as yours. I even put a brand new battery on, which made no difference at all.

It always sounds sluggish on start up - just like my tractor, but it always starts.

I don't think it helps that I also ride Hondas which start in a millisecond of pushing the button.