Another couple of Windscreen questions

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
wbrenner

Another couple of Windscreen questions

Post by wbrenner »

2016 R1200RT
I am looking for a screen, and have read some of the postings from members of the forum.  Still a difficult decision to make.For myself, I don't have much of an issue with the stock screen. But I did take note that some others can hear the radio at up to 70 miles per hour. Wow.Am interested in having my passenger included in the protected air pocket.  Seems that the protected zone collapses into turbulent air by the time it reaches the back seat, and my passenger is on the petite side. Not seeing much for comments relating to the passenger.
An observation about windshield shapes on the aftermarket offerings.  Most if not all have a reverse flip (flair) on the top and/or sides.  Nothing that I know of that travels through air or water, besides sport touring motorcycles, uses such a shape.  Some years ago, on a Honda ST1300 (Pan European),I used the Aeroflow offering.  It was flair on the sides and on the top.  It succeeded in protecting the passenger, but it took at ten to fifteen  miles an hour off of the top speed of the bike. When I purchased the R1200RT, I was pleased to see that it was shaped to work with the wind, not against it.
I am still not secure about which replacement model windscreen to purchase. Am planning to take trip real soon with my passenger, and don't want her to have another first hand experience being a bobblehead doll.
I know that recommendations have been asked in previous questions, but here I am still wondering what to pick.
Thank you.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Another couple of Windscreen questions

Post by Casbar »

As your in the US, aftermarket screens are cheaper for you, in Europe we have to pay shipping and import duty. So the choice is good. Do a search on the BMW LT forum, which is more US based, there are loads of reviews. For me, I fitted a Weeks Quiet ride and have it on my LCs for 4 years and am very pleased with it. My other half has never complained about turbulence on the rear. But I guess it depends also on the physical attributes of you and your pillion. My wife is only 5ft 2, so is behind me, and I'm 5ft 8, so I have the Werks 24inch screen.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hi i purchased a Z-Technik tourer FOR MY 2018 RTLE its excellant no wind noise or turbulence i would recommend it to anyone , i am 5.11 tall and have a 32 inch inside leg , hope it gives you some idea,s !!!!!
wbrenner

Post by wbrenner »

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I have to accept a flared screen, and Werks and Aeroflow are the popular options.  I wonder what will protect my passenger best - that may also be a close call.Am thinking of getting one size larger than one that works best just for myself.  That way the windscreen does not have to be raised as much, and maybe reduce buffeting by having a lesser angle of attack, and leave a smaller wake that could increase drag.I just noticed that there is a BMW comfort screen, when searching the net.  I saw no mentions of that one in any post in this forum.
Last edited by wbrenner on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I have the BMW Comfort screen. See my earlier post:

https://www.1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?p=43332#p43332
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Werks Quiet ride for me.  Transformed the bike.  I can ride with the visor open a bit and my pillion does not feel any ill effects either.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Go to youtube , z-technik demonstrate their tourer version and you can here and see the effects of wind turebulance and noise .
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I have just received my Werks Quiet Ride screen and very impressed.  Also much quieter when riding and ride with visor up at legal limit