Brand new 1200RT - won’t engage 3rd when warm

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
LondonBiker

Brand new 1200RT - won’t engage 3rd when warm

Post by LondonBiker »

Just picked up my new 2018 model RT yesterday.  12 miles on the odometer when I picked it up.  Riding home and I struggle to engage 3rd going up the box, to the point of being completely unable to select the gear at all. And then after riding in second for a few more seconds I can shift into third.  Force required to shift was larger than I am comfortable with.  Certainly not a “snick”.

Problem is reproducible and repetitive.  None of the demo bikes I rode had anything other than silky smooth gear changes.

Clearly I am going to get back in touch with dealer, but does anyone have any views? 

I have searched and some say that excess hydraulic fluid in reservoir stops changes when warmed up due to expansion but this is only a 2-3 change issue (plus a slight 4-5 issue as well if I am honest).
Beagle

Re: Brand new 1200RT - won’t engage 3rd when warm

Post by Beagle »

Back to the Dealer methinks.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

LondonBiker wrote: I have searched and some say that excess hydraulic fluid in reservoir stops changes when warmed up due to expansion but this is only a 2-3 change issue (plus a slight 4-5 issue as well if I am honest).

Back to the dealers - should not be like that.

And regarding the excess fluid in reservoir, I assume you mean clutch reservoir - think it through: Excess fluid in the system would increase the pressure, the same effect as pulling the lever in further. That is not going to make it harder to change gear is it?
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

Thx. Didn’t think it was a excess fluid problem but that’s the only thing I can see that is related after a search.

Indeed it will be going to dealer, in second the whole way if needs be.  Just after some more background from those with more miles under them so I can press dealer as necessary.

Bought bike to tour Europe with - am running in and then leaving in two weeks, only for two weeks at first.  Dodgy gearbox doesn’t inspire confidence.  But that’s what the warranty is for, and the recovery assistance.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Isn't it a bit odd finding a 2018 R1200RT in May 2019 ?  I presume it was on sale at a "good" price ?

Finding one with 12 miles on the clock and a gearbox problem would have me contacting the dealer and telling him I was rejecting the bike - I'd rather have a good condition, second hand bike I could test ride prior to purchase than a suspect "new" bike.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Not sure if this is any help but for what is worth.
My 1200 GS WC developed a problem with the clutch before it was a year old. When cold the biting point of the lever was very inconsistent, it deteriorated to the point where I couldn't engage first gear until it was warm. Got stuck in the middle of the road leaving work. Turned out to be a problem with the clutch slave cylinder, replaced and fine afterwards.

With so few miles on it would it not be worth asking the dealer to pick it up in a van rather than potentially risk causing any mechanical damage by riding it there.

Mike

[size=78%] [/size]
Last edited by MikeS on Sun May 05, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Phone the dealer and tell them to pick it up!  Why put yourself at risk as you don't know what the fault is and what it might do.  Had the same problem on a Triumph Sprint ST several years ago.  Picked it up new and by the time I got home it was stuck in 4th.  They came and collected it and swapped it for a new bike.  Presumably the original bike was fixed and put back out on sale as a low mileage used bike. 
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

All good advice.  Will go have a quick ride today and see.

Bike was a very good price. Dealer had imported a bunch in case of Brexit and had a long stock list.  I needed one and a used version wasn’t much cheaper at all.  So manufacturers warranty will be useful.
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

It has been knocked over in the secure Carpark by and Uber driver and is damaged.  Ho ho ho.  It gets more complicated day by day.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Oh bu88er.....  Good luck, at least you are okay.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Oh f*** that complicates things, may not be able to reject under sales of goods acts any more. Now have two problems, gear box and accident damage which will have to legally be dealt with separately. Need to tell the dealer to fix the gear box and uber to fix the rest, but two claims at same time will be a pain as any claim about the tour you are bound to get into "delay was his fault", "no it as his"
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

Oh yes. Hadn’t thought of that. Oh.

Pic of RT when I found it.  Big whack to push it onto kerb.  Amongst other things I note the Side stand needs replacement. The foot is bent. 

It’s not looking good.  None working days until I leave.
Attachments
1686D5C1-3503-4DE9-B484-34FAA9CDA7AB.jpeg
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Hope you have witness,s or cctv footage to sue the *astard scumbag whats locking away ,did he not leave any info about the bump ?
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

How far is the bike from rideable?  Maybe you could get the gearbox fixed and ride it slightly scuffed and then get the damage fully fixed later.
Kabish

Post by Kabish »

LondonBiker wrote: Oh yes. Hadn’t thought of that. Oh.

Pic of RT when I found it.  Big whack to push it onto kerb.  Amongst other things I note the Side stand needs replacement. The foot is bent. 

It’s not looking good.  None working days until I leave.
Ohhhhhh heck no!!  Man that has always been my biggest fear, whoever did that had to of hit it pretty hard to get it that far forward.  I hope you are able to find the guy, or at least your deductible isn't too high..