HANDLE BAR ADJUSTERS

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

HANDLE BAR ADJUSTERS

Post by jackronner »

Recently saw a dead clever one [see photo].  Does anyone know if these only work in the vertical to raise the bars,  or can you rotate the mod forward or back and reposition the grips/levers so they remain level?  Would love to have found this elegant solution before I did my own ugly $1.80 mod.  Don't know if longer caple will required if moved rearward, either.

I figure this might be helpful to those suffering discomfort in the arms or back.

Last edited by jackronner on Tue May 07, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: HANDLE BAR ADJUSTERS

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Does anyone know if these only work in the vertical to raise the bars, or can you rotate the mod forward or back and reposition the grips/levers so they remain level?

Don't know if longer cable will be required if moved rearward, either.
Ilium Works Bar Backs,

"Bar Backs move the handle bars up and back 1-5/8” (41.3 MM),  closer to the rider’s shoulders, for a more relaxed riding position."

"No need to change the stock cables or hydraulic lines."
Last edited by David. on Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: Recently saw a dead clever one
By 'dead clever', do you mean the handlebar raisers?
jackronner wrote:.... can you rotate the mod forward or back and re position the grips/levers so they remain level?
Good question. I ask the same one. Does the user have the option/ability to rotate those risers forward or back to suit their own requirements, or are they locked to the one position?
jackronner wrote:Would love to have found this elegant solution before I did my own ugly $1.80 mod.
What was your cheapo mod?
Last edited by bandytales on Tue May 07, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

R1200RTW Bar Back overview and installation, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K0F3cAJ6Q
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

bandytales wrote: By 'dead clever', do you mean the handlebar raisers?
Good question. I ask the same one. Does the user have the option/ability to rotate those risers forward or back to suit their own requirements, or are they locked to the one position?
What was your cheapo mod?

I tried them on my 1200RT.. Up and forward - not really backward as i needed.
They got to high for me, and only 10mm++ closer to me - did not do it for me

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Does anyone know if the wunderlich risers are multi adjustable? Description says it can be "adjusted in it's angle"  does that mean adjusted on the original bar mount or just the position of the switchgear? https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-lc-2014-on/wunderlich-risers-r1200rt-lc-r1250rt
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Bandytales, Here's the mod.  Some sciatica problems almost stopped me getting the RT, due to its "Grandma" ("Sit up straight!!") upright seating position.  I can go, literally, a 1000 miles in one day when able to recline against my load piled behind me.  200 miles on a rental bike in France had me unable to straighten up after dismounting the bike.  The mod is simply a pre-perforated steel rod affixed to the bar-end and bent to form a handle (covered in an old hose from a Hoover stuffed with hard foam).  I put it on the left only, and it gave me 4-5" of rearward movement, and also gave me total relief from the back pain.  Did 10,000 miles last summer around the US and Canada without a single problem.  This might also be helpful for others with different comfort problems relative to the riding position (back, arms, etc.).  It kinda looks like the original grip, too!

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I've viewed the Ilium vids, and they maddeningly don't say if the grips can be rotated within the device to maintain a proper horizontal orientation for the levers and the fluid reservoirs.  The device itself rotates, but I don't know if the grips have a flange, etc. that marries with internal grooves to prevent rotation of the grips from the horizontal.  They simply tell you to rotate the device so that it is parallel to the angle of the bars, and never rotate it past that angle.  If it IS capable of more rearward or forward rotation whilst maintaining proper grip position, it's a huge oversight on their part, since it ignores an attractive and flexible feature.  I guess you have to contact them (my problems already solved).

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

winglider

Post by winglider »

Old-Git wrote: Does anyone know if the wunderlich risers are multi adjustable? Description says it can be "adjusted in it's angle" does that mean adjusted on the original bar mount or just the position of the switchgear? https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-lc-2014-on/wunderlich-risers-r1200rt-lc-r1250rt
Just fitted a set of these to my 2015 BMW R1200 RT LC.The wunderlich risers are multi adjustable in either forward or backward movement by rotating around the original mounting position. But only to a certaim degree, If you line the risers up with the the standard bars, it brings the bars slightly to the rear and approx 40mm higher position.The standard handle bars are then fitted back in to the the new risers. And the clutch and break levers can be rotated in the risers to the required position so the break/clutch leaver in in the most comfortable position before tightening the bolt to hold the bars inplace.

Beware I had to remove the throttle grip off the right bar to be able to remove the throttle grip from the original handlebar. Before placing the handle bar in the new riser in the new riser. this ment dismantling the righthand switch gear and disconecting the 3 plugs, I am sure I have comected thim propperly but i have lost throtle responce.
I am wondering if i need to hsve the throttle recalibrated?
Last edited by winglider on Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

winglider wrote: Just fitted a set of these to my 2015 BMW R1200 RT LC.The wunderlich risers are multi adjustable in either forward or backward movement by rotating around the original mounting position. But only to a certaim degree, If you line the risers up with the the standard bars, it brings the bars slightly to the rear and approx 40mm higher position.The standard handle bars are then fitted back in to the the new risers. And the clutch and break levers can be rotated in the risers to the required position so the break/clutch leaver in in the most comfortable position before tightening the bolt to hold the bars inplace.

Beware I had to remove the throttle grip off the right bar to be able to remove the throttle grip from the original handlebar. Before placing the handle bar in the new riser in the new riser. this ment dismantling the righthand switch gear and disconecting the 3 plugs, I am sure I have comected thim propperly but i have lost throtle responce.
I am wondering if i need to hsve the throttle recalibrated?
Thanks. So can you line them up back towards you or only as far as in line? Good luck finding your throttle issue.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: Recently saw a dead clever one [see photo]. Does anyone know if these only work in the vertical to raise the bars, or can you rotate the mod forward or back and reposition the grips/levers so they remain level? Would love to have found this elegant solution before I did my own ugly $1.80 mod. Don't know if longer cable will required if moved rearward, either.I figure this might be helpful to those suffering discomfort in the arms or back.
Hi Jackronner, In your signature line you say you have a 2005RT, the picture you posted is from the later 2014 - 2019 Wethead. The bar risers shown in the picture WILL NOT fit the bike in your signature line.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Bandytales.  I neglected to mention that in my post;  the vids say its for 2014 "and up".  But I'm not in need of it, with my own fix working fine and cheaply.  Just thought I'd get the option out there for others. 
winglider

Post by winglider »

Old-Git wrote: Thanks. So can you line them up back towards you or only as far as in line? Good luck finding your throttle issue.
They can be angled back a very small amount, but are more of an inline thing. You have to be careful that the hydraulic hoses are not pulled to tight,check full lock in both directions.
If you are looking to bring the bars back any real distance these are proberbly not for you.
Hope this helps