Here we go - 1250 Calliper issues

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
austin1964

Re: Here we go - 1250 Calliper issues

Post by austin1964 »

In the words of Barron Von Grumble "the GS is a great tool, just like some of the people who ride them" civil enough?

:-))))
:beee:
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

My dealer has now had my bike longer than me, I'm on my third courtesy bike, eventually got one that is OK but now no time to ride it  :'( .

If my dealers had not sold the bike I traded in I would by now have rejected the purchase and be back on that

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I feel for you. I've now done 600 miles, no leaks as yet, but service next week :)
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

PeteM wrote: My dealer has now had my bike longer than me, I'm on my third courtesy bike, eventually got one that is OK but now no time to ride it  :'( .

If my dealers had not sold the bike I traded in I would by now have rejected the purchase and be back on that

I feel your pain. I went through the debacle of the 14 RT rear shock absorbers safety  recall.  Such a spolier  ofa biking season when you don't know if you're coming or going .
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lucky wrote:
I feel your pain. I went through the debacle of the 14 RT rear shock absorbers safety  recall.  Such a spolier  ofa biking season when you don't know if you're coming or going .

Your brave becoming a beta tester again :) I bought my 2014 after the original owner gave it back to BMW and swapped it for a K1600, so after the recall had been done. I am hoping my 1250 ownership isn't going to be a mare, but at least we have a 3 year warranty :)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
Your brave becoming a beta tester again :) I bought my 2014 after the original owner gave it back to BMW and swapped it for a K1600, so after the recall had been done. I am hoping my 1250 ownership isn't going to be a mare, but at least we have a 3 year warranty :)

I thought leaving it five or six months from release would be safe from any major early issues. Guess I got that wrong.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Brave or foolhardy, maybe both but I must confess to being impulsive. I'm currently fighting the urge to upgrade the seats to RDLs, and I think I'm losing that battle too...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lucky wrote: Brave or foolhardy, maybe both but I must confess to being impulsive. I'm currently fighting the urge to upgrade the seats to RDLs, and I think I'm losing that battle too...

lol, will that be an import from the US, there isn't a UK distributor is there? Only option in Europe seem to be Corbin or Sergeant
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
lol, will that be an import from the US, there isn't a UK distributor is there? Only option in Europe seem to be Corbin or Sergeant

Wunderlich also make them
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Yes, I need to send donor seats to California where they rebuild the seat from the original pan.

It's not a cheap option but I've tried the rest and RDL is the best by a country mile (in my opinion). I'm probably the biking equivalent of the princess that can't sleep with a pea under her mattress, and yet the RDL seat let's me ride all day and feel ready for more.

If anyone has a heated pillion seat from a 2014 up RT that they can sell me I'll be glad to hear from you.
Last edited by Lucky on Thu May 09, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

I've gone off topic. Sorry .
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

My bike was delivered back yesterday, off for a ride shortly to remind myself why I bought it as it has been so long
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote: My bike was delivered back yesterday, off for a ride shortly to remind myself why I bought it as it has been so long

Good you have it back. I had mine serviced on Friday, all ok, which is good as I'm off to Scotland tomorrow. My dealer said they haven't seen any bikes with issues with the callipers, so it must be a issue only facing a small number.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:
Good you have it back. I had mine serviced on Friday, all ok, which is good as I'm off to Scotland tomorrow. My dealer said they haven't seen any bikes with issues with the callipers, so it must be a issue only facing a small number.

My dealer has had a few. Mine and another fixed over the last few days, I think they still have a couple outstanding
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Cost-cutting move from Brembo to Hayes (but BMW branded) front calipers is undeniably retrograde, but only the keenest brakers will notice any difference."