Gearchange Assist

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
austin1964

Re: Gearchange Assist

Post by austin1964 »

2018 bike

Use it from 2nd all the way up but you need to give some throttle, coming down it's lovely all the way....
It's not meant for round town traffic! On the R1250 it is smoother but not much.

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Use mine all the time, my '17 is far better than the previous '14 I  had. That one was very clunky from 3rd upwards & back. My '17 is a lot smoother from 2nd up & down.
Typically only using clutch on moving off or stopping. However I've rode a couple of newer bikes while mine has been having a service etc & they seem to be very much smoother than my RT.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

It does seem that (a) we have differing expectations or (b) different bikes behave differently or (c) some of us are clots.

I suspect it's (c) and I put myself firmly in that category.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

When I went to buy my new LC I rode two RT test bikes with quickshifters and really couldn’t see the point of it. I actually like the involvement of changing gear and getting the revs right etc. So I specced it without one and don’t regret it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

There speaks a proper motorcyclist
Last edited by Lucky on Thu May 09, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Got it on my GS, although I'm still getting used to it, it's not something I'd specify on a new bike and wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. BMW would probably have been better having lessons from the Japanese on how to make gearboxes rather than trying to polish a turd by adding a quick shifter.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lucky wrote: There speaks a proper motorcyclist

So personally I've been riding continuously for 45+ years, have been a blood bike volunteer for 4 years, ride in excess of 20,000 miles a year. So interested what actually makes a proper motorcyclist  :) I have been shifting up without the clutch long before quick shifters and gearshift assist came along. Its like all these extras including ABS and traction control, we never used to have it, but if its there you might as well use it to make like easier, some of the gadgets are even useful in the OH shit moments, but you don't need them.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote: I have been shifting up without the clutch long before quick shifters and gearshift assist came along. Its like all these extras including ABS and traction control, we never used to have it, but if its there you might as well use it to make like easier, some of the gadgets are even useful in the OH shit moments, but you don't need them.

I'm the same, out of town I have rarely used the clutch for up shifts for years. The gearshift assist is nice in that you don't have to do anything with the throttle. Going down the box I usually use the clutch whether I have assist or not because I can do a smoother shift than the software which I think puts less strain on the transmission and gives a better ride. ABS I would not want to be without to be without despite being happy to deal with a lockup myself after years of off-road riding where it is a fact of life.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote:

So personally I've been riding continuously for 45+ years, have been a blood bike volunteer for 4 years, ride in excess of 20,000 miles a year. So interested what actually makes a proper motorcyclist  :) I have been shifting up without the clutch long before quick shifters and gearshift assist came along. Its like all these extras including ABS and traction control, we never used to have it, but if its there you might as well use it to make like easier, some of the gadgets are even useful in the OH shit moments, but you don't need them.
I also have been riding for 45 years and I didn't intend to spark off another episode of "is this or that essential ". It's entirely down to personal preference and approach to motorcycling in general i.e whether you do your own maintenance, how many miles you cover, and how long you intend to keep the bike etc. I agree that ABS is essential and I particularly like the electronic suspension adjustment.
It's seems to me that many (most?) new RT owners don't expect to keep their bikes past the warranty period and don't intend to do their own maintenance which means they don't need to worry about long term reliability of the 'tech' on the bike and can confidently spec the bike up to the max. You should have seen the look on the dealers face when I said I didn't want the quickshifter on my new bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

B787MECH wrote: I also have been riding for 45 years and I didn't intend to spark off another episode of "is this or that essential ". It's entirely down to personal preference and approach to motorcycling in general i.e whether you do your own maintenance, how many miles you cover, and how long you intend to keep the bike etc. I agree that ABS is essential and I particularly like the electronic suspension adjustment.
It's seems to me that many (most?) new RT owners don't expect to keep their bikes past the warranty period and don't intend to do their own maintenance which means they don't need to worry about long term reliability of the 'tech' on the bike and can confidently spec the bike up to the max. You should have seen the look on the dealers face when I said I didn't want the quickshifter on my new bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, not looking for an argument, I remember meeting you on the Pidcock tour and spent a few hours discussing general biking things and how you fitted a DAB radio to your bike, I assume you are the same chap :)
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

No, not me, haven’t been on any Pidcock tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

All down to personal choice, for me I had a 2013 RT with normal g/box and after 4 months of heaving the clutch lever every time to change gear and starting to hurt the top of my left foot thanks to the little gear lever I changed to a 2016 RT with the quick shifter, it's great and I wouldn't go back to a 1920's technology gearbox  ;)
Last edited by mondeoman on Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mondeoman
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

I admit my 'real biker' comment was a tease.

We all have our likes and dislikes, and as I get older I am more questioning about some of the bling we are offered.

Take chrome header pipes. Theres nothing new here but why do they exist? I'm happier with stainless steel, some wire wool and a little Solvo. Then I don't get annoyed if a little oil gets splashed and spoils the finish.

Each their own, of course.
Last edited by Lucky on Fri May 10, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

Hmm, the blueing of chrome looks a lot better than the faux rust of stainless
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I really like the quickshifter.  The benefit can really be felt at the end of a 500 mile day on UK roads, no aching left hand and wrist.  Just makes things easier.