New to forum. Need help with 2019 RT Seat

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bandytales

Re: New to forum. Need help with 2019 RT Seat

Post by bandytales »

Old-Git wrote: I found mine on facebook marketplace. Which is irrelevant, annoying and full of crap, but on this occassion I struck lucky.

Thanks for the tip. I will add that to my Ebay / Gumtree circuit
garr2

Post by garr2 »

The rider's seat part numbers for the 2019 1250RT and the 2016 K1600GT are different, so it would seem they are not interchangeable.
To have your seat recovered by Russell Saddles in USA you could -
1) Book your 1250 seat into them to be rebuilt into a RDL. You would be without the seat for however long it takes to return freight & rebuild your seat.
2) Buy a second hand 2014-19 1200RT seat from Motorworks (UK) which you get them to freight to Russell Saddles to be rebuilt to your specs. This means you can continue to ride with your other seat, and later if you eventually sell the bike sell it with the non-RDL seat, and either move the RDL to your new model (if possible) or sell it separately.
Option 2 worked for me. If you do go with option 2 and buy a second hand one, check that the heating switch and lock mechanism are included.

Ian
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ross63 wrote: Do you know if the GT seat would fit my RT or if there are other solutions to make things more comfortable. Thanks. Ross

Why would you think a K1600GT seat would fit?
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Waiting on new R1250, will the Airhawk pad fit???
East Anglia (Fenland)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Easyrider5258 wrote: Waiting on new R1250, will the Airhawk pad fit???

Yes, I have one. I think the pad is rubbish. It looks tacky, the set up is ok, but for me, it just doesn't give a 'nice' feel. It doesn't matter what pressure I have it set to, it just doesn't make a great interface between butt and bike.
If it's any comfort, I have now got to the point with the OEM seat that it feels OK, but it has taken a long time to get there!
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

My Airhawk has moved from bike to bike with me, I find it gives another 100 miles comfort over BMW standard seat, I wouldn't be without it for long trips, but I do know some people cant get on with them
Glad it should fit on the 1250  :thumbs:
East Anglia (Fenland)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

bandytales wrote:
Yes, I have one. I think the pad is rubbish. It looks tacky, the set up is ok, but for me, it just doesn't give a 'nice' feel. It doesn't matter what pressure I have it set to, it just doesn't make a great interface between butt and bike.
If it's any comfort, I have now got to the point with the OEM seat that it feels OK, but it has taken a long time to get there!

I'm glad he only asked "if it would fit" 😂
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)