Brand new 1200RT - won’t engage 3rd when warm

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
LondonBiker

Re: Brand new 1200RT - won’t engage 3rd when warm

Post by LondonBiker »

Update / thx for the comments.

3rd gear - problem not recurred in dealer ride nor a 30 mile return journey they made.  I will check again. It happened twice in several hundred changes when I rode to dealer.  We shall see. 

One thing they did say was the quick shifter wasn’t working properly and was reset before they test rode the bike.  Hmm

Damage - bike was in a carpark with 24 hr porter at the main gate.  They got the guy’s details.  It was a hired vehicle and the owner has cash settled.    It was tempting to keep the scratched pannier as was but I would rather just get it all done.

My nippy Norman packages have arrived and I now need a bike to fit my bits to.  Get it back tomorrow, I hope.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

The hire company will have (or should have) taken a copy of the persons driving licence prior to releasing the car, maybe worth asking or reporting it to the plod shop and ask them to get the details for you.
At least the gearbox should be sorted now ready for your trip
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

LondonBiker wrote: Damage - bike was in a carpark with 24 hr porter at the main gate.  They got the guy’s details.  It was a hired vehicle and the owner has cash settled.

I was under the impression that they have to take a hirers details by law. But even if it is not it would be extremely unlikely they wouldn't as otherwise they would just end up with hundreds of speeding and parking fines they would be responsible for
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

I know who did and the apartment porters took a copy of the chap’s licence and phone number.  In UK law we don’t need to report to police.  There was no attempt to drive off, although if it were on the street I might not have been so lucky.

Will post updates on gearbox when I’ve ridden it again.  Got to get the miles on for the first service.
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

Final post on this.  Picked the bike up again (after the loan F800R it felt enormous).  They’ve reset and recalibrated the “gear shift assistance pro”.  It now changes gear much more easily.  Not sure why.  Took it onwards to Cambridge and back and had no issues. 

Hmmm,  maybe it is just a running in issue. 
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hope so - good luck!
LondonBiker

Post by LondonBiker »

It’s getting better with more miles.  Now at 1670 miles and in Italy.  Gearbox working fine when using clutch.  Quick shifter is good, most of the time.  Possibly user error when it isn’t.  Thanks for the support. 
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Glad all's well.  Yes the quickshifter can take a little while to get the hang of.  Once you do though..... brilliant.  Much kinder on the wrist after a long day's riding.