Proper seat hight

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ventura

Proper seat hight

Post by Ventura »

Hi,
When I bought my first BMW R1200RT in 2016- I just bought the only one there was at the dealer.    Didn’t think about the hight - which seems ok at the dealer.  I found out later that I can’t put my all feet on the ground... I bought the lower seat as was recommended here, and the highest boots I could find. A little better, but still don’t feel in complete control.
What my options?? Something can be done with the shocks..??
PeteM

Re: Proper seat hight

Post by PeteM »

Ventura wrote: Hi,
When I bought my first BMW R1200RT in 2016- I just bought the only one there was at the dealer.    Didn’t think about the hight - which seems ok at the dealer.  I found out later that I can’t put my all feet on the ground... I bought the lower seat as was recommended here, and the highest boots I could find. A little better, but still don’t feel in complete control.

Seriously, learn to live with it. You do not need to put both feet down, one is enough.

I'm a short-a*** with a 28inch inside leg; but can ride anything, highest was a mates GasGas enduro bike with a 38 inch seat height which was "interesting" starting and stopping.

With a pillion I need to get one foot down properly so I ride with a low seat in the high position but that is just for getting SWMBO on and off.
Last edited by PeteM on Fri May 10, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Here's a copy of my old post on this issue.  Good luck.

[size=2px]I've just bought a 2005 R1200RT.  If you, too, find the bike a bit tall and unsteady - can't quite flat-foot it - here are a couple of ideas.  Pls let me know if there are any downsides to them.[/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px]I just totally removed the movable height adjusters under the driver's seat.  Lowers the seat about another inch.  Doesn't seem to contact the battery, etc. under the seat.  [/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px]Even at a long-waisted 5'11", I find that, especially when backing it up a slight incline or rough ground, it's an adventure.  Fix:  popping off the lower anchor of the front pegs' return spring (which tensions the front pegs forward) will allow you to fold them up during such maneuvers (manoeuvres if you're from the UK).  This prevents barked shins and bone bruises from the pegs, and allows a greater range of motion for your legs;  and, since you no longer have to adopt a wider stance to avoid the pegs, a smaller rider can point their legs straight down and take advantage of every inch of inch-seam.  This and the torturous upright position almost dissuaded me from buying the RT, but these fixes help with both problems.  Pass it around if you see someone struggling.[/size][/size][size=2px][size=2px][size=2px][/size][/size]
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Ventura wrote: ...but still don’t feel in complete control.

Practice. You don't NEED to flat foot. If you need to manouver the bike when it is stationary and you are not confident with your foot placement, get off the bike and push it. The rest of the time if you want a full foot down on a given side, master the 'buttock-slide' and get the relevant footing. I know of several small riders who ride GS's and they are a joy to watch as they approach a stop, they slide to the side and, wham!, full control. If you go down the route of lowering the bike, so many things change for the worse. Really, I recommend you try to live with it and change your own approach.
Tones

Post by Tones »

I’m 5’5” ,28” inside leg and use a low one piece seat and get both balls of feet on the ground. Don’t have any problems moving the bike around, just make sure on uneven ground that I stop near a raised bit of ground. I don’t know if there is a difference between the one piece low and the front low seats with regards to seat height, I’m sure someone on here will know.
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

If you decide you want to change shocks to lower the RT, I would highly recommend Ted Porter at Beemershop.  I went with Tractive Suspension lowered shocks, and while NOT cheap, they are a million times better than the OEM shocks and get my feet comfortably on the ground.

Keep in mind, if you do lower the bike, the side and center stands will be too long.  I got both shortened by a local welder/fabricator.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tones wrote:I don’t know if there is a difference between the one piece low and the front low seats with regards to seat height, I’m sure someone on here will know.
For a 2013 model, (same as 2009) Google knows, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachments ... s-2014.pdf

One piece low = 765mm

Front low = 780mm (low position)