No throttle on 2015 R1200 RT LC

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
winglider

No throttle on 2015 R1200 RT LC

Post by winglider »

I have just fitted a set of Wunderlich handle bar risers and took the right hand handlebar switch gear and throttle off the bars. I have now fitted it all back on the bike with the 3 plugs reconnected in the correct positions ,but I have no throttle. The central locking, ride mode and stop buttons all work OK, so I am sure that all the plugs are in the correct sockets.
Can anyone please advise what might be happening ? 
Beagle

Re: No throttle on 2015 R1200 RT LC

Post by Beagle »

winglider wrote: I have just fitted a set of Wunderlich handle bar risers and took the right hand handlebar switch gear and throttle off the bars. I have now fitted it all back on the bike with the 3 plugs reconnected in the correct positions ,but I have no throttle. The central locking, ride mode and stop buttons all work OK, so I am sure that all the plugs are in the correct sockets.
Can anyone please advise what might be happening ?

I may be talking tripe but I read somewhere if the battery is disconnected and reconnected the throttle needs to be moved from one extreme to the other to restore it.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
I may be talking tripe but I read somewhere if the battery is disconnected and reconnected the throttle needs to be moved from one extreme to the other to restore it.

Talking tripe :) If you disconnect the battery the only thing to need to do is reset the time and date so the service light goes out.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

winglider wrote:Can anyone please advise what might be happening?
Norcal1 had similar problems with the RHS switch after fitting Ilium Bar Backs, viewtopic.php?p=45648#p45648.

Might just be worth checking the plugs again.
winglider

Post by winglider »

First of all thanks for all the advice, but lets clear up a small misunderstanding.The battery was never disconnected .
What was disconnected were the 3 plugs on the right hand side multifunction switch.When I finished the installation of the handle bar risers and reassembled the switch, and plugged everything back in. it all worked apart from the throttle.After a call to a very helpful local BMW dealership Chandlers of Brighton. I was informed that if the throttle is unpluged it needs to be reset.
This is what they told me is a quick fix that may work.

Turn on the ignition and wait for the start up sequence to finish.    Fully open the throttle and hold it open for 5 seconds.Slowly close the throttle over 2 seconds.
Turn off ignition and leave for about 2 minutes. And guess what it worked, havent ridden the bike yet but seems OK
If it didn't work it would need to go to the dealership to be reset.
Thanks again for the advice, I hope this may help anyone else in the same predicament.
Last edited by winglider on Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
Talking tripe :) If you disconnect the battery the only thing to need to do is reset the time and date so the service light goes out.

Not complete tripe then.  :alas:
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
Not complete tripe then.  :alas:

Yes complete Tripe, the battery was never disconnected, or did you miss that bit. I was responding to the comment "if you disconnect the battery", which as I pointed out, the only impact is you have to reset the time and date.  :alas:
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

I can see the sence in this, as you wouldn't want the throttle to be confused and in the wrong position on starting....I hope the bar riser is worth the hassle?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I quite like the idea of bar risers, but then I am trying to justify would it make any difference to my riding comfort and what are they fixing. I guess it depends on the statue and height of the rider, I did over 18k on my last RT and never had any real issues, but I'm 5ft 8. Do bar risers help taller riders? But we can always be more comfortable I guess :)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
Yes complete Tripe, the battery was never disconnected, or did you miss that bit. I was responding to the comment "if you disconnect the battery", which as I pointed out, the only impact is you have to reset the time and date.  :alas:

:kacsint2:
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote: I quite like the idea of bar risers, but then I am trying to justify would it make any difference to my riding comfort and what are they fixing. I guess it depends on the statue and height of the rider, I did over 18k on my last RT and never had any real issues, but I'm 5ft 8. Do bar risers help taller riders? But we can always be more comfortable I guess :)

Probably wouldn't make much difference if you're that small.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
Probably wouldn't make much difference if you're that small.

Wanker :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:

Short but to the point 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:

So - rethink before posting/replying/commenting - dos this thread really benefit from this comment - if not - DON’T post it. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
So - rethink before posting/replying/commenting - dos this thread really benefit from this comment - if not - DON’T post it. 

Why don't you take some of your own advice, what gives you the right to tell anyone what they can and can't post. I have met Simbo and that was a friendly quip. I don't know you from adam, so keep your thoughts to yourself  :whistle: