Media Player on Nav VI

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
horand

Media Player on Nav VI

Post by horand »

Hi All
I have purchased a Nav VI second hand and everything seems to be working well except I can’t get sound from preloaded media music.
Everything is paired up and I get sound from the Nav for directions through to my Sena 20 S headset. Bike radio is fine also.
How do I get the media sound to play through. The track is shown and is playing as I can see the digits counting on the Nav screen.
I must be missing something simple!
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks
David
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Media Player on Nav VI

Post by Casbar »

I had mine working on my 2014 RT, didn't do anything special. Except I never had my Scala paired directly to the Nav, I had my Scala paired to the bike BT and then when the audio was switched to aux, Nav came through that channel and so did the music from the Nav. Now on my 1250 I have my Scala paired to the Nav VI and my phone paired to the Nav as well and again the music plays fine. Have you checked the Nav mixer and that you haven't got it muted ?
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks for your input.
I’ll take a look at it and revert tomorrow.
Surely if the sound is coming through for the navigation directions then the media music sound should automatically do the same?
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

You can set the volume of the media playback separately from directions, could be turned right down.

Press the speaker button bottom centre to adjust

horand

Post by horand »

Many thanks for these suggestions.
I had a quick play with the bike this morning and I have got it working.
I have everything paired except the iPhone to the Sena 20S. I have also made a phone call which is fine and is usable through the headset. Obviously the phone is being bluetoothed to the headset via the bike or the Nav VI rather than directly from the phone to the headset.
Going forward will all these components automatically pair up when I turn on the bike or do I have to pair up on each outing?
Also how did the previous owner of the Nav VI download music directly into the memory of the Nav VI? Is this done via a SD card contained the Nav VI itself or is it done by means on connecting the Nav VI via a USB lead to a computer in the same way as connecting map updates?
As you can see I'm pretty weak when it comes to these matters?
I am very grateful for your inputs.
Regards
David
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Should automatically repair.

If you hook up the GPS to a PC via USB but without any of the software running you should be able to access it as an external drive, you can then just copy files over to either the internal memory or the SD card
Last edited by PeteM on Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
horand

Post by horand »

Great!

I just need to find a cheap source of music now?

Any suggestions.

Thanks Again.
David
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Pairing wise, with my Scala, I have to make sure it is on, before the Nav starts up, but I have my iPhone connected to my Scala and my Nav VI. Nav VI takes priority for calls in this configuration and when I'm riding other bikes without the Nav, the phone then sends calls directly to my headset. Although I hardly ever use the phone when riding, its only for emergencies :) and don't get a lot of incoming calls, now retired so no work calls to bother about
guest2383

Post by guest2383 »

horand wrote: Great!

I just need to find a cheap source of music now?

Any suggestions.

Thanks Again.
David
I use a pen drive on the bike for the audio system and bluetooth to helmet, but source my music through Spotify and Replay Music (Appian) to record and edit - no limit to what you can source really for little cost.Happy days
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Be aware that the built-in connection between the GPS and the bike's radio / audio systems is mono.
It is intended for audio instructions from GPS and not for music.
Therefore, in the beginning, BMW chose to disable the music player when the GPS was connected to a bike with radio / sound system.
They expected you to use the built-in USB connection to play music in stereo.
After a great deal of pressure, they have now enabled that possibility on the GPS, but with low sound quality.
If you want to use music from the GPS - it should be connected with BT directly to the helmet.

Steinar
horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks Steinar
I'm now thinking of using an iPod that will plug into the front right dash compartment in order to play music.
The latest phones are too big to fit that compartment? A suitable iPod will fit OK.
This will offer stereo rather than mono? is this correct?
Also when plugged in directly to the cable will the iPod be automatically charged?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
David
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks Geordie Lad

I consider the pen drive also.

Regards

David
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

horand wrote: Many Thanks Steinar
I'm now thinking of using an iPod that will plug into the front right dash compartment in order to play music.
The latest phones are too big to fit that compartment? A suitable iPod will fit OK.
This will offer stereo rather than mono? is this correct?
Also when plugged in directly to the cable will the iPod be automatically charged?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
David

Yes, it will work - I have done this , BUT you need a rather expensive cable from BMW.
I have this cable - and it will also give the possibility to use an ordinary headphone connector to what ever.
What I found (On my K1600) was that I needed to connect one cable to the usb, and one to the earphone connector.
Then the bike was using the USB for changing track, view track-info etc, but the earphone connector for the sound.
And yes - it will charge - using the USB. No fast charging, but working .

After that - and also now on my 1250RT, I'm only using a USB flash disk - and plays mp3 from that.
Gives the same usability - and mush easier to handle.
The iPod is pensionadet

STeinar

Last edited by STeinar on Thu May 16, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

USB flash stick on my R1200RT works a dream.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
horand

Post by horand »

STeinar
Thank you again for your detailed explanation.
Please excuse my lack of understanding!
I understand the USB flash stick will plug into the USB port in the right hand compartment and will play through the audio system on the bike. Surely this will Bluetooth the sound to the headset. Why do you recommend an earphone connector for the sound? I can see an earphone port alongside the USB port in the right hand compartment. Are you suggesting that this will plug into the earphone port on the headset?
Kindly advise and again apologies for my lack of knowledge on these matters.
This is a great forum with lots of friendly and valuable advice!!!!!
Regards
David