Cleaning The Exhaust Pipes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
horand

Cleaning The Exhaust Pipes

Post by horand »

Hi
My 2016 RT Iconic has some bluing on the exhaust pipes as they exit the engine.
Can anyone recommend a suitable cleaning agent?
I note others suggesting Harpic toilet cleaner on chrome pipes but not stainless steel (SS)?
I believe my pipes are SS as I have tried to attach a magnet as SS will not attract a magnet and yes there is no magnetic pull at all.
All suggestions/recommendations great-fully welcome?
Many Thanks
David
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Cleaning The Exhaust Pipes

Post by milleplod »

Chromed headers aren't magnetic either!  ;) There's any number of proprietary cleaners to get rid of blu(e)ing - Autosol do one, I use one called Peek.

Pete
horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks Pete
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

horand wrote: Hi
My 2016 RT Iconic has some bluing on the exhaust pipes as they exit the engine.
Can anyone recommend a suitable cleaning agent?
I note others suggesting Harpic toilet cleaner on chrome pipes but not stainless steel (SS)?
I believe my pipes are SS as I have tried to attach a magnet as SS will not attract a magnet and yes there is no magnetic pull at all.
All suggestions/recommendations great-fully welcome?
Many Thanks
David

Can I suggest giving bleaches (and the likes) a miss. SolvolAutosol, Peek and other cleaners are the way to go. Personally, I think the bluing complements the exhaust.
DO NOT USE WIRE WOOL. Keep all abrasives as gentle as possible.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ok, it's not a 2016 LC, but I know which look I prefer.

horand

Post by horand »

Many Thanks

I have ordered Autosol Original Solvol Chrome Metal Aluminium Motorcycle Cleaner Polish..

Personally I would like the pipes nice and shiny and will remove/reduce the bluing if I can.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

horand wrote: Many Thanks

I have ordered Autosol Original Solvol Chrome Metal Aluminium Motorcycle Cleaner Polish..

Personally I would like the pipes nice and shiny and will remove/reduce the bluing if I can.

Yes, they do look nice, but polishing that bluing off can take a while!
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

milleplod wrote: Chromed headers aren't magnetic either!  ;) There's any number of proprietary cleaners to get rid of blu(e)ing - Autosol do one, I use one called Peek.

Pete
However.......

[size=18px]Stainless steels are iron-based alloys primarily known for their generally excellent corrosion resistance, which is largely due to the steel's chromium concentration. There are several different types of stainless steels. The two main types are austenitic and ferritic, each of which exhibits a different atomic arrangement. Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not. [/size]
[size=18px].......but not ferritic on BMW pipes![/size]
schmails

Post by schmails »

My 2011 pipes went from blue to eventually brown. I could not polish it out anymore ...

So I went with JetHot ceramic coating. Had to remove and send away, but I think it was worth it.

Worked great and now they never blue.
YMMV.

Attachments
7D98EDCC-06CD-43A8-9A0A-612BD76F1BA9.jpeg
5E0FA159-E7AA-4CDA-A4DE-5A36AD0DA38F.jpeg
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

schmails wrote: My 2011 pipes went from blue to eventually brown. I could not polish it out anymore ...

So I went with JetHot ceramic coating. Had to remove and send away, but I think it was worth it.

Worked great and now they never blue.
YMMV.

Me too, but I went with black.

Attachments
Photo 2019-03-06, 7 14 28 PM.jpg
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

I soooo don't enjoy polishing header pipes that I ordered my new 1250 without chrome exhaust. I'd much rather use fine wire wool and Solvo Autosol on stainless steel headers.

Imagine my 'joy' when I collected the bike and found it came with a non-chrome silencer but still chrome headers. Grr...
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have spent 4 to 5 hours today washing & polishing my TC RT. The exhaust headers look as good as in this photo (not my bike). A toothbrush & some Solvol plus a microfibre cloth worked a treat.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly they discolour having now had the bike set up properly by Hilltop Motorcycles.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Bear in mind that Solvol is an abrasive which is removing the metal from your exhausts.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pickaxe wrote: Bear in mind that Solvol is an abrasive which is removing the metal from your exhausts.

True, but that is true for everything that takes the bluing off the pipes. I comfort myself in knowing that I had been using this for MANY years on my Oilhead, and never ever polished through the chrome plating. As ever, the key is not overdoing it and getting carried away. Some folk use polishing mops on electric drills along with other aggressive mechanical methods. Trying to keep it as gentle as possible is the answer.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Happich "Semi-Chrome" is the best all around metal polish I have ever used. Expensive here in the States and not easy to find. Made in Germany, so y'all across the Pond may find it easier over there.

One mistake that is common ( I done it years ago too), is to use common steel wool. That leaves particles in the surface.....that rust! Use stainless steel or I sometimes use the 3M abrasive pads made of Nylon. I put the Semi-Chrome right on the wool or nylon and go at it. Then use a cloth for a final polish job.  I have used 2000 grit sandpaper to get really bad corrosion off  the pipes, but that takes a good bit of elbow grease to get polished up.

I have never seen any negative effect from using the slightly abrasive metal polishes on chrome.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.