Oil Level in the Viewing Window

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
horand

Oil Level in the Viewing Window

Post by horand »

Hi
My bike was serviced by the dealer 300 miles ago.
I notice the oil viewing window if completely full. I understand the inner circle in the window is the indicator for max and min levels. I have the bike on the centre stand and the engine is cold.
Is this something I should address by trying to reduce the level to the top of the max circle.
I heading away on the bike on Thursday morning for a 5 day trip circa 750 miles and I haven’t time to visit the dealer beforehand.
What’s the best way for me to lower the oil level without too much difficulty?
All suggestions and opinions will be most welcomed.
Thanks
Plodbike1962

Re: Oil Level in the Viewing Window

Post by Plodbike1962 »

I'd let some oil out or it could end up in the airbox
It's a life style !
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

First of all check your manual for correct procedure for checking oil. Mine says fully warm bike, put on centre stand on a level surface and wait for 5 mins, then check level. I always now do this after a ride. If its been overfilled then just undo the oil filter a little to drain some oil out and then retighten.
Last edited by Levisp on Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Is it a main dealer service?

My last 5 services on 1200 and then the 1250 LC have come with the oil up to the  top of the window. Never had a problem. Can't see that a BMW dealer would over fill the engine with oil.

If I was unsure I would take it back to the dealer for advice. You've paid for the service/oil, let them sort it out. However, if you haven't got time before your trip I wouldn't worry about it.

Mike
Last edited by MikeS on Mon May 27, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horand

Post by horand »

Thanks for these helpful  comments.
My experienced bike Pal visited me and asked me to put the bike on the side stand and the level then read midway between min and max.
I sat on the bike off the stand and at a relatively level upright position the level read Max.
I’m inclined to think that the amount of oil in the bike is pretty OK.
I’ll leave things as they are.
Thanks for your responses.

LAF

Post by LAF »

Reply number 2 is the correct way to check oil on a 1200 WetHead.  There is no other way to do it correctly.  No side stand, or rum, or chickens sacrificed.

When all else fails Read the Manual.  If you dont have one you can download your Owner's Manual on the BMW site.
And the reason dealers over fill your bike is it calls for 3.9 Liters, and they just dump in 4.  I run mine at half way in the red circle.  If you look you can see drain holes in there I use the 9 and 3 o'clock position as true and accurate marks for my oil reference.  A lot more accurate then trying to remember where on the red circle your oil was.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Manual for 15 RT shows oil capacity 4L or 1.1 gallons
If i’am using Castrol the bike gets 1 gallon
If i’am using the rebranded Shell it gets 4L, I do the service so I know it’s not getting overfilled
Jim
LAF

Post by LAF »

T6pilot wrote: Manual for 15 RT shows oil capacity 4L or 1.1 gallons
If i’am using Castrol the bike gets 1 gallon
If i’am using the rebranded Shell it gets 4L, I do the service so I know it’s not getting overfilled
Well it actually says "max 4.0 l, with filter change"
I was advised by people who know BMW's a lot better then me to only run 3.9L.  I am pretty sure there is a Service Bulletin tha states 3.9L.  I think it was in response to hard shifting. It is believed that the full oil allows it to be whipped or foam and it hinders shifts.

So with a Mahle filter and 3.9 L of Liqui Moly it sits at the half way mark of the red circle.  Right at the top of the 3 and 9 o'clock drain holes in the sight glass.
Of course your bike run what you think is right.  Your oil filter can make a difference as there are a bunch that fit the bike in various sizes.

Again on the oil check, shut the bike down, put on center stand and wait 5 min.  Why the magic number is 5 I have no clue but it is, not 4, not 6, but EXACTLY 5 min from shut down to looking at the red circle.  As I said I use the drain holes on the inside of the oil glass as it gives me repeatable exact sight marks.