Re: Rear PowerSocket

Post by bandytales »

B787MECH wrote: https://youtu.be/UsOgNpK0yeI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that.

rangemaster728

Rear PowerSocket

Post by rangemaster728 »

Shakleton wrote: There is a power socket nestled under the rear seat for the pillion.

Can anyone inform me as to what current it draws please? (the manual is silent).

My wife has a pair of heated Gerbing  gloves and a heated Gilet (SHMBO likes to be warm). We have failed to get these to work so I am guessing it is like the front power socket which has a limited power draw?

I have wired an accessory socket direct to the battery for an air pump. Can I retire the pillion socket direct to the battery or do I have to run another one separately (Canbus etc)

Many thanks for any help, insight and wisdom
I believe, if I read the wiring diagram for my 2009 R1200RT correctly, the wire to both the front and rear sockets is 1mm (18 AWG):

This implies by the DC ampacity tables for wire that current should be limited to 12.2A for a 3-foot cable, and 9.1A for  4-foot cable, hence the 10A total limit for the sockets since both share the same positive wire (terminal 4 on the ZCU)...

So the solution is as others have suggested...install a connection to the battery protected by a fuse (and triggered with an accessory-controlled relay), or install a Hex ezCan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kioolt
United States of America

Re: Rear PowerSocket

Post by kioolt »

Here's an excellent explanation of the use of fuse size and wire size with Powerlet sockets.

https://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/fuseSizing
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.