thinking of buying a rt 1200

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: thinking of buying a rt 1200

Post by Casbar »

On the R1200/R1250 facebook page, yesterday there were two riders who reported their exhaust flap seized and replaced by BMW. One had a 2018 bike one had a 2019 1250, so guess BMW haven't managed to fix this issue. At least I have a 3 year warranty this time :)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Does the exhaust flap stick in the open or closed position ?
Are there any symptoms to alert the rider to the fact that it has seizure ?

And, in response to the OPs question, my 2017MY RT has completed 28,000 miles on routine maintenance.  I recently completed a 4,800 mile trip through England, France, Italy, Croatia, Austria and Belgium. Roads were mostly Single carriageway and twisty but included a spell on limit-free autobahn. Weather included a couple of days of heavy rain, but mostly warm and dry.  I've been thinking since I got home and can't come up with a make or model which would have been better than the RT. It's a brilliant bike.  👍
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: Does the exhaust flap stick in the open or closed position ?
Are there any symptoms to alert the rider to the fact that it has seizure ?

And, in response to the OPs question, my 2017MY RT has completed 28,000 miles on routine maintenance.  I recently completed a 4,800 mile trip through England, France, Italy, Croatia, Austria and Belgium. Roads were mostly Single carriageway and twisty but included a spell on limit-free autobahn. Weather included a couple of days of heavy rain, but mostly warm and dry.  I've been thinking since I got home and can't come up with a make or model which would have been better than the RT. It's a brilliant bike.  👍

It normally sticks open. When you switch on the ignition you should hear it move, if it starts to squeak or you can't hear it, it is either on the route to sticking or it is stuck open. You can whip off the end can and can see the flap. If you take the bike to BMW for servicing they will know if its stuck as the computer will show an error code. I had two go on my 2014 bike, 2 sets of headers fitted by BMW. I was hoping they had fixed it with the 1250, obviously not :)