Fuel error

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
davef1uk

Fuel error

Post by davef1uk »

Hi all,

Is it only mine or do all RT models give odd fuel levels.  Filled up. Said I had 277 miles to next fill up... rode 30 miles, read 295 miles then another 30 plus miles said 250. 

Faulty fuel sensor or is this normal ??
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel error

Post by David. »

The fuel range is calculated on the basis of fuel level and average consumption. After filling up, the range (277) will be calculated on the previous ave. mpg. If over the next 30 miles, the ave. mpg increases, then yes, the range can increase (295). After the next 30 miles, (now a total of 60) the ave. mpg may level out again and the range settle down.

Yes, on my 2012 TC, the range can increase as I ride along in economy mode.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

Cheers David.  Didn’t think it was so calculated lol.  Interesting. 
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Just been away for a week on my 16RT LC so was keeping an eye on this.  Bimbling around on nice Scottish roads the miles ridden since last fill + miles left hovered around 300.  As soon as I got on to dual carriageways this would fall to about 260.  Pretty consistent.  I usually start looking for fuel after about 240 miles or when I get down to 2 bars on the gauge.  Cautious... bloody heavy bike to push :)
Tenequip
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Tenequip »

The quality of the gasoline varies here in the states, which directly affects gas mileage and type of riding. As stated earlier the RT is constantly calculating the current gas mileage. I have experienced increased miles per tank of 20 to 30 miles and also loses of 10 to 20 miles. Type of riding, such as straight level roads at 55 to 60 miles/hr verses twisties in second & third gears, is like night and day for gas mileage.
Tenequip