Main Dealer prices

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Old-Git

Main Dealer prices

Post by Old-Git »

A cautionary tale. I checked my brake pads 5 days before a trip to the austrian alps, decided they needed changing, went to main dealer because I didn't want the worry of waiting for the postman, and got charged, for a front set only - One Hundred and Forty pounds sterling. SoI will be eating gravel and drinking from puddles on this trip. There's a moral in there somewhere.....
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Re: Main Dealer prices

Post by MikeS »

Safe to assume BMW main dealer?
k900r

Post by k900r »

I agree, I recently had mine serviced at the main dealer. They said my front pads were 85% worn and quoted me a similar price to change them over the next couple of months.
I politely declined and will do them myself (as I did with the rear set last year) after a planned trip around Yorkshire moor and dales - it’s a straight forward DIY job but I understand why you went to them so close to your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Old-Git wrote: A cautionary tale. I checked my brake pads 5 days before a trip to the austrian alps, decided they needed changing, went to main dealer because I didn't want the worry of waiting for the postman, and got charged, for a front set only - One Hundred and Forty pounds sterling. SoI will be eating gravel and drinking from puddles on this trip. There's a moral in there somewhere.....

Just out of interest, how did the bill break down? What was the charge for the pads and then the labour?
k900r

Post by k900r »

My own quote was £165..... 120 for OEM pads, the rest labour

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Main dealer, and supply only.....
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

Ebay, EBC HH rear pads for RT £20.50. Fitting time 5 mins and no tools.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Pickaxe wrote: Ebay, EBC HH rear pads for RT £20.50. Fitting time 5 mins and no tools.

+1
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tried EBC front pads on my first 2007 RT, they were useless, no feel or bite, IMO, rubbish. The EBC pads were half the price of OEM pads, ended up throwing them away & fitting OEM pads, false economy. Brakes are far too important, have never used anything other than genuine pads since.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

David. wrote: Tried EBC front pads on my first 2007 RT, they were useless, no feel or bite, IMO, rubbish. The EBC pads were half the price of OEM pads, ended up throwing them away & fitting OEM pads, false economy. Brakes are far too important, have never used anything other than genuine pads since.

?? Strange.
I have done a couple of blind tests and you know, I really can't tell ANY difference in feel on the HH pads. So not only were they only 1/3 of the price (OEM £71 EBC £22), They have lasted longer and feel exactly the same.
You were using the Sintered HH pads and not the FA organic pads?
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

EBC HH here too, just as good if not better than oem pads. 👍 Maybe some people look forward to a trip to the dealer 😁
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
FB_IMG_1552207552416.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
k900r

Post by k900r »

I fitted Brembo pads to the rear and planned on fitted them to the front too. The full two sets are the same price as one set of OEM

guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

bandytales wrote:
?? Strange.
I have done a couple of blind tests and you know, I really can't tell ANY difference in feel on the HH pads. So not only were they only 1/3 of the price (OEM £71 EBC £22),They have lasted longer and feel exactly the same.
You were using the Sintered HH pads and not the FA organic pads?

+1
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Used Brembos on my old K1300GT.  The guy where I bought it reckoned they were the same pad and a lot cheaper bought outside the BMW network.  Worked fine, no discernable difference.