Auto-dimming for high-beams?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Auto-dimming for high-beams?

Post by jackronner »

Are they available? Can't decide if such a device (which enjoyed a brief hey-day on cars in the '70's (?), would be a good or bad thing. I do wonder why they went out of style, or if they were banned, and, if so, were there negative effects? 

Insofar as, especially on a twisty road with sporadic opposite lane traffic, it eliminates the splitting of your attention and concentration on the road, and no more change in pressure of your left hand on the grip in a tight curve.  No more constant nervous anticipation of the next car around the bend.  I find that when there is constant opposing traffic, I sometimes give up and just go with low beams, when brights would be optimal;  so a gizmo that keeps the brights on would be great.  Also, it's never good to blind and panic an oncoming driver;  he may lose control and/or just drift right into you, so the gizmo is safer there also.  I'd still like the ability to turn it off at will, and would hope it would not dim the brights too readily, as when my beams are pointing away from drivers when they're on the outside of a curve.  Anybody see any down-sides? 
PeteM

Re: Auto-dimming for high-beams?

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: Are they available? Can't decide if such a device (which enjoyed a brief hey-day on cars in the '70's (?),would be a good or bad thing. I do wonder why they went out of style, or if they were banned, and, if so, were there negative effects? 

Not seen it on a bike but I have it on my modern 330 car. It can dip and move each beam separately as well, so if you get an on coming car it dips the drivers side and moves the passenger side away from the on-coming traffic whilst still on high beam. If you are following another car it moves both beams outwards so you do not blind them but you have better vision than normal dip beam.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Auto-dimming for high-beams?

Post by jackronner »

Wow, does it feed the dog and weed the garden, too?  What a well thought-out system.  Even ore valuable for bikes.