General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Thinking about R1250RT

Post by Arek »

Hi guys,
It's my first post and i would like to say hello to everyone in this forum.
I joined because I'm thinking about RT. Don't have one, hopefully yet :-)
I'm UK based around Oxford to be more precise.

I'm new to the forum but not new to the motorcycles.
As per subject of this thread I'm considering to order new 1250RT LE. Did the test ride and I liked the bike. Very different from my current Kawasaki Z1000SX but by no any means worst.

As all of you are experienced users of RT I have some probably silly questions :-) from your point of view, but anyway I'll ask

I would like to order R1250RT LE plus lower seat (my legs are short),Dynamic package and top box. Is there something I should consider which make my life better/ easier?
Keyless option is gizmo which I do not consider for that price. I used keys for long time, and I still can do that way. Audio system from my point of view is not necessary. We have bluetooth comms, and they working very well for our needs.
Also I have TomTom navigation on the current bike. Is there a nice good way to put that in the prepared place on RT? Or I should consider replace it with original BMW one?
I'm really not keen to add RAM mount to my handlebars. I bet you will have good advice? Do the integration with on board system is worth of that?

And the question to the UK based users here.
It is related to dealers. Never before deal with BMW (even cars) so I have zero experience.
How flexible are they? What can I expect due to discounts or extra options?
With kawasaki I've got some bits, plus extra warranty plus some discount. How is that in the BMW world? Are they flexible or very strict?

I'm around Oxford, so the obvious one for me is North Oxford, however I do not mind travel further if others are better/ more flexible?
Anyway I want also visit Cheltenham BMW for comparison, but maybe you have some good advice in that matter too?

Thanks a lot.
PS. Dubled that post in the ukgser forum as well, so those of you who read that in both places please do not yell on me :D
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Thinking about R1250RT

Post by MikeS »

I live just outside Oxford and have bought three bikes from North Oxford, including my current R1250RT.  My experience with them has been very positive, found them easy to deal with and efficient when organising test rides and servicing etc. Are there better dealers out there? Possibly but it's very  subjective and everyone will have their own opinion. Visit a few and make your own mind up.

Servicing tends to be on the pricey side but that comes with the brand. Warranty claims and problems tend to be handled well IMHO.

Will you get a discount? You won't know till you ask, if there isn't much flexibility on the price then try for option extras, clothing or some servicing to be included in the price. I would ask for the 600 mils service to be included as an absolute minimum.

I wasn't keen on keyless start but had to have it to get a bike within a reasonable time scale. I've gotten used to it and quite like it now.

Good luck with it.

Mike
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Its a bit like when you buy anything, get a quote then play one dealer off against another. Cheltenham have a good reputation as well. BMW do not tend to discount too much, when I traded my bike against the 1250, it was all about the price to change, so you don't really know how much discount vs a trade in price.

I am also quite taken with keyless, didn't think I would like it, but it seems a lot easier, I used to have a habit of getting my gloves on and ready to go and forgetting my keys were in my pocket  :)

I also got the sos thing, seemed like a good idea at the time. My previous RT had audio, didn't go for it this time as the Nav can play music and my BT headset has a radio if I wanted it. The BMW Nav has some limited function, zoom from the wonder wheel and it also can take information from the bike with the my motorcycle app, which shows bike data. You would lose that if you put a Tom Tom in its place. There was a post on the 1200/1250 RT page about a plate that will fit where the Nav goes to enable a Tom Tom to be fitted, but I didn't take any notice, but if you get yourself onto that facebook group, you could search.

I bought my bike from CW in Dorchester, but I went armed with a quote from Reitan BMW, they beat them and were local

Top box, painted with high level brake light is around £1100, so very expensive option, look out for a used one if they don't do you a deal

Most also either fit cylinder head protectors with are around £200 (not sure if they are out yet) or engine bars to protect in case of a drop. I also had aux lights as an option, but I subsequently fitted after market spots and would in hind site not bothered with the BMW spots
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I bought my RT from a dealer 75 miles away. Did the whole deal via e mail and phone. Got an ex demo with 60 miles on it. Saved over £3000 and it’s got audio sos keyless spots. Very happy
R1250RT LE
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Casbar wrote: I bought my bike from CW in Dorchester, but I went armed with a quote from Reitan BMW, they beat them and were local

Top box, painted with high level brake light is around £1100, so very expensive option, look out for a used one if they don't do you a deal

Most also either fit cylinder head protectors with are around £200 (not sure if they are out yet) or engine bars to protect in case of a drop. I also had aux lights as an option, but I subsequently fitted after market spots and would in hind site not bothered with the BMW spots

Thanks a lot for your post.
That's the reason I want to go check Cheltenham as well. Try to negotiate the best deal, and then go to the Oxford and play this way. To be honest I prefer to deal with Oxford garage as they convenient close to me. So if difference will be marginal I will not  bother to travel long distance.

As for topbox I will not opt for that one with lights embedded, I think it's huge overpriced. The standard one is also overpriced, however I probably can swallow it. Obviously better priced will be a Givi option, but it will definitely not be estetical matched.

With the engine protectors that's a good hint. Will keep that in mind.

Obviously will be better timewise grab machine from stock, but most of them are quite specced with bit's I'm not really consider necessary.
However the main bit is I've been told if I want lower seat option, I can have it only when it was factory fitted. So looks like BMW dealers do not want retrofit it to the existing bikes.
Or maybe just that particular sales person didn't bothered to check that. I have no idea how correct it is.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Arek wrote:
Thanks a lot for your post.
That's the reason I want to go check Cheltenham as well. Try to negotiate the best deal, and then go to the Oxford and play this way. To be honest I prefer to deal with Oxford garage as they convenient close to me. So if difference will be marginal I will not  bother to travel long distance.

As for topbox I will not opt for that one with lights embedded, I think it's huge overpriced. The standard one is also overpriced, however I probably can swallow it. Obviously better priced will be a Givi option, but it will definitely not be estetical matched.

With the engine protectors that's a good hint. Will keep that in mind.

Obviously will be better timewise grab machine from stock, but most of them are quite specced with bit's I'm not really consider necessary.
However the main bit is I've been told if I want lower seat option, I can have it only when it was factory fitted. So looks like BMW dealers do not want retrofit it to the existing bikes.
Or maybe just that particular sales person didn't bothered to check that. I have no idea how correct it is.

You haven't said how tall you are, but I am 5ft 8 and can flat floor the bike with standard seat on low setting, I can also manage with the seat on the high setting. I am quite surprised they can't get a low seat for you, thought you buy that from parts, but guess that would be extra cost. Other option would be to buy with standard seat and buy an aftermarket Sergeant low seat, again extra cost, but a lot find the standard seat uncomfortable and a low seat has less padding.
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Sorry. Yes I did not mention. I'm 169cm and I believe (didn't really measured) I have inside leg 29".
When tested last Sunday standard seat lowest position I did not flat out my feets. I'm experienced enough that this is nothing I'm worry about when I'm alone (I rode Honda varadero 1000 years ago). But I'm not getting younger, also I plan trips with my wife or daughter. And that adding a bit complication to the overall.
Personally I will feel better with lowest seat option.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Good luck with getting a discount at a Motorrad dealer !  It can happen, but less likely with new, popular models. But if you don't ask .....

You need to be aware of all the available optional packages and accessories.  I have the LE with dynamic and comfort packages, but I wouldn't pay for the audio package. I love the keyless even though I couldn't see the point on a short test ride.

If you need a low seat to retro fit, they do come up on eBay fairly often. Make sure you know whether you need a heated seat or not. I don't use the seat heating much (but I wouldn't want to be without the heated grips). The optional high seat suits me (inside leg 32") and I find the higher the seat the more comfortable the bike is - but, of course, you need to be happy that you're going to be able to hold the bike up in all circumstances, they're heavy bikes !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

gogs01 wrote: Good luck with getting a discount at a Motorrad dealer !  It can happen, but less likely with new, popular models. But if you don't ask .....

That I was thinking. When I was about my current Kawasaki the situation was similar. Z1000SX is a huge popular model for them, and they did not like to give anything extra as they see no need for that. It still will be great seller. I get something, however not huge bit, some 12V socket, extended warranty, and about £500 less on the price.
Compering to the car industry that's really not huge win.

I assuming the GS is still the king from the selling point. So maybe the RT will have some more slack. Maybe I'm naive but  have some hopes  :wonder:

gogs01 wrote: You need to be aware of all the available optional packages and accessories.

That's the other bit I'm not familiar with. Since now, for almost 30 years I had mostly Jap bikes. And they do not have that huge extras options. If at all really. That was one of the my ffirst questions. Do I need something more than dynamic packet, to make my life better on bike?

gogs01 wrote: If you need a low seat to retro fit, they do come up on eBay fairly often. Make sure you know whether you need a heated seat or not. I don't use the seat heating much (but I wouldn't want to be without the heated grips). The optional high seat suits me (inside leg 32") and I find the higher the seat the more comfortable the bike is - but, of course, you need to be happy that you're going to be able to hold the bike up in all circumstances, they're heavy bikes !

That's the bit. They are heavy, and as I mentioned my plan is travel with pillion. My wife is quite small person, so I do not really worry about that. My daughter is a bit more like me, on the heavy side be, and that is the bit I'm concerned. I'm comfortable in my Kawa myself, but I had quite scary moments with my daughter on board. I rather sacrifice a bit of comfort of seating to the comfort of keep bike upright.
Also when I tested the BMW, the seat comfort was a huge step from Z1000SX  8)

MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Did you test ride the bike on your own? If not why book another test and take your daughter along and get her to ride pillion.
At least you'll know what it feels like with somebody on the back.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

https://youtu.be/vVsogyXn33c

Worth a look. Not an RT but a GSA but doesn't really matter.

Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

MikeS wrote: Did you test ride the bike on your own? If not why book another test and take your daughter along and get her to ride pillion.
At least you'll know what it feels like with somebody on the back.

I tested on my own, and after 45 minutes of the ride I took my wife with me. All was good. However I try with daughter and it wasn't the most comfortable bit, the weight of pillion doing the difference.
Of course I can ride, that's easy. The maneuvers I have to sometimes doing, like reverse, etc are challenge. Obviously I can ask her to get out off bike, and all became easy, but I would like to be on the comfortable side. If I have option why do not use it?
I know I wasn't comfortable on that bike as well because it wasn't mine, and the contribution in the repairs was up to £2000, so not a cheap bit :D
I'm 100% sure when I will own it, and do some more hours riding, I will become much more relaxed with everything.
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Was today at Oxford BMW. Surprisingly the low seat option is indeed factory order. If dealer doing it, it have to be ordered separately and it cost £260 for heated one. Overall I had good chat with guys. They gave me some bits (that seat for example)  and overall I was happy with conversation.
I've put the reservation for a bike they have somewhere in the dealership chain. But didn't ordered yet.
Going tomorrow to Cheltenham to see how it looks like in the other place.

So hopefully tomorrow I will have some answers, and I hope I will do order.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Arek wrote:
So hopefully tomorrow I will have some answers, and I hope I will do order.

I hear what you are saying, but PLEASE be sure you want that low seat. The number of times you are needing to get your feet down versus the amount of time you are riding is almost negligible. So, when you stop and need to maneuver backwards, just get off the bike and push it. If that seat is low, you will end up with cramped knees. These Wethead RT's already leave the rider with tighter than ideal knee bends.
When I carry a pillion, I actually use it to my advantage if I need to do a backward maneuver, I ask them to get off and then get them to start pushing me, so all I have to do is steer, brake and stabilise the bike. It's brilliant!
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

bandytales wrote: If that seat is low, you will end up with cramped knees. These Wethead RT's already leave the rider with tighter than ideal knee bends.

Finally I had a chance sit on the RT with original low seat today. And now I know it is good for me. I'm more the hobbit height  :eggs: .
Also the more angled knees are not an issue. I'm coming from Jap sporty bike. Anything in the boxer range will be probably much better and more comfortable  :whistle:
Will have discussion with my wife later today, and I'm almost positive to put order tomorrow.
BTW. Cheltenham guys beat Oxford in price and extras. So I'm going to tell tomorrow in Ox that I sincere thank them for help, but I'm going somewhere else.