A Question of Torque

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

A Question of Torque

Post by Our Gee »

Just back from Machine Mart where I have purchased a small Socket Set. On the package the description states "Flat Drive" Allows up to 30% more Torque by Gripping the "Flat Sides" of the Nut and Not the Corners". Must admit this a new one on me and I just can't see what they are getting at.
Any idea's anyone ?.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: A Question of Torque

Post by Graham88 »

Its not a new thing, the likes of Snap on have been on this for a while, they call it 'Flank Drive', see below. Basically a slight change in profile that shifts the contact point further down the flat and away from the corner, reducing the risk of rounding.
Attachments
Flank Drive.jpg
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Also known as surface drive.  They work well.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the replies Chaps, although it does seem that there different things here. The Sockets I have just acquired are of a full hexagon type, hence the description "Flat Drive". The picture of the "Flank Drive" posted by Graham is different. What originally concerned me was the statement "Allows 30% more Torque" which I probably and mistakenly understood to mean that 30% more torque was being applied than was set on my wrench. However after giving this some thought I now see that this would not be possible. (I hope !!).
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

You are right, the torque is a product of the force applied and the distance it is applied from. A socket on its own cannot increase the applied torque although torque multipliers are a thing. The claim is that you can increase the torque by 30% without the fastener rounding.

As for your sockets they are a 6 point and the one in my picture is a 12 point, both work in the same way and flank drive is available on 6 and 12 point sockets, ring spanners, open ended spanners and even adjustable spanners now (I think), flank drive is just a snap on trademark - I'm sure if you tried you could find plenty of other names for essentially the same thing.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Nicely explained Graham. Cheers.