Cylinder head guards or crashbars

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Bobf

Re: Cylinder head guards or crashbars

Post by Bobf »

I have Heed bars, front and back, from Poland.
Most drops are at low speed, and during training I have dropped mine.
The bars did what they are designed to do, and no damage to my bike.
AS for maintenance on the engine, they are easily removed.
Pricing is very favorable,  and communication with the manufacturer is excellent.
Check some of my previous posts on this subject for pictures.
Install is dirt simple.
Better to burn out than fade away. - Niel Young
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Dee Dub wrote: My reservations about crash bars in general is that the load goes directly to a part of the frame that wasn't designed to take a sideways impact. Surely this threatens the integrity of the frame?

BMW seem to think it is fine. The authority bikes have no problem being tossed on their sides.
It doesn't effect the integrity of the frame because most of the bars are attached to the engine.

Dee Dub wrote: I use head protectors and would happily replace them, and head covers if necessary, in the event of a major drop. At least the main mass of the bike would be in direct contact with the ground.

Have you really thought this through? If you dump your bike on the rocker cover and it shatters, you will probably knacker your cam carrier and get a load of FOD into your engine via the cam chain tunnels.  Sure the head protectors are ok for a gentle lay down, but not to the level of impact that you have alluded to (in terms of distorting frames).
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Bobf wrote: I have Heed bars, front and back, from Poland.
Most drops are at low speed, and during training I have dropped mine.
The bars did what they are designed to do, and no damage to my bike.
AS for maintenance on the engine, they are easily removed.
Pricing is very favorable,  and communication with the manufacturer is excellent.
Check some of my previous posts on this subject for pictures.
Install is dirt simple.
Thanks for another tip.
Looks like in mycase communication with them will be dead easy  ;D
I'll have a look on your posts for pictures.
Cheers

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Dee Dub wrote: My reservations about crash bars in general is that the load goes directly to a part of the frame that wasn't designed to take a sideways impact. Surely this threatens the integrity of the frame? I use head protectors and would happily replace them, and head covers if necessary, in the event of a major drop. At least the main mass of the bike would be in direct contact with the ground.

Incidentally, I know GSA owners find that, in the event of a drop, gravel and stones go between the crash bars and damage the head covers anyway. Some owners add a plate across the top of the cylinder head to reduce this.

I've been through all the arguments. Head protectors will do nothing for the plastic or your bags, which are the expensive bits.We have had our RTPs dropped many times with no frame damage whatsoever and no head issues. Now I don't know about you, but I will not be riding my own bike up gravel dirt tracks like someone on a GS might, so not too worried about gravel on the heads. I have put bars on purely to protect from a standing drop, not a full on crash, where the last thing I would be worried about is frame integrity. I didn't have them on my 2014 for over 18k miles, but I'm not getting any younger and my main concern is when I'm wheeling it out of the garage, down a slight slope. Its all a personal risk assessment job. :) And before someone comes along and says RTPs have bars so they can be dropped at speed and the rider can give chase, that is an old wives tail :)
Shakleton

Post by Shakleton »

You could always spend money and have both bars and head protectors. Nippy Norman’s are promising Machine Art Moto head covers that work with Wunderlich bars ( assuming you prefer these)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Shakleton wrote: You could always spend money and have both bars and head protectors. Nippy Norman’s are promising Machine Art Moto head covers that work with Wunderlich bars ( assuming you prefer these)

You'll need Head Guards with those type of bars, The bars are too weak with only 3 points of contact, they need a brace at the rear to the frame to stop them bending in on contact with the floor. don't ask how I know lol.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
bars.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I have both engine guards and crash guards. The BMW engine guards to reduce stone chips on the cylinder rocker covers, and Ilium Works crash guards for a (hopefully never) slow speed drop.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I had head guards fitted this morning, I had them on my old bike had I am sure it helped when my foot slipped out from under me and I laid the bike down.
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I just ordered Heed  crashbars. Will give you some pictures once they will arrive and I install them. Hopefully they will stand the reputation I found in some comments from various places.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Head guards for me.  I don't like the way crash bars redistribute the forces in a crash.  Also, if you have a big enough off for the head guards not to cope then you have far bigger things to worry about.
MrCabbage

Post by MrCabbage »

So, any recommendations for good value head guards (1200LC)?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Sprintgull wrote: Head guards for me.  I don't like the way crash bars redistribute the forces in a crash.  Also, if you have a big enough off for the head guards not to cope then you have far bigger things to worry about.

Each to their own, but see post #16 above and look at what the autorities do with their slalom courses (often dropping their bikes).

As to rocker guards. The BMW ones are good as too are MachineArtMoto  -  [size=78%]https://machineartmoto.com/products/x-head/x-head_lc/[/size]
Arek
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

Hi all.
As mentioned in some previous post, I ordered HEED crashbars.
Today was fitting day for them. Like someone mentioned, the instruction is not great, however is good enough for anyone with some DIY knowledge.
Tools needed were pretty standard ones, some spanners, allen keys and torx T25. bars can be fitted without fairing removal, however for much better access and clear view I recommend to take them off.
Overall it will be much easier and quicker procedure without them.
Here is few pictures.
Attachments
2019-06-29 09.58.43.jpg
2019-06-29 09.58.24.jpg
2019-06-29 09.58.05.jpg
2019-06-28 21.31.49.jpg
2019-06-28 21.31.38.jpg
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

simbo wrote:
You'll need Head Guards with those type of bars, The bars are too weak with only 3 points of contact, they need a brace at the rear to the frame to stop them bending in on contact with the floor. don't ask how I know lol.
[attachimg=1]
The good news with those crash bars (if they are the same material matt finish stainless steel as Touratech's version on the GS) is that five minutes with a wire brush on an electric drill and the scrapes are all gone.  Fell off my GSA an embarrassing number of times on all kinds of surfaces (including six very low speed get-offs while training in a car park) and to my huge surprise the old laugh "that'll buff right out" is actually true!  Almost as good as new, although they bend a bit eventualy and then have to be bent back into place. 
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a