Menu Switch

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
buzz

Menu Switch

Post by buzz »

Hi,
My Menu switch is beginning to get a little sticky, on my R1200Rt 2016 what's the best way of sorting this out? WD40 or some other electrical spay
Regards
Chris
PeteM

Re: Menu Switch

Post by PeteM »

buzz wrote: Hi,
My Menu switch is beginning to get a little sticky, on my R1200Rt 2016 what's the best way of sorting this out? WD40 or some other electrical spay
Regards
Chris

I wouldn't use WD40 - will just collect dirt. Tiny bit of silicon spray might work OK, or possibly some switch clean but not tried either
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

The menu switch on my '16MY got sticky and was replaced under warranty. The replacement switches screen icon matches those from MY >18. Don't know if that is mere co-incidence or a change in switch innards.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Contact cleaner.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread from a K1600 forum, https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1 ... ilure.html shows the construction of the switch.

(Ignore the white wire, it's a repair).

"Switch cleaner, as has been reported, may cause a temporary fix since, once again, the evaporating solvent could have a cooling effect. There are no exposed contacts to clean; each button is sealed with a rubber boot against the elements and against switch cleaning fluid."
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Image

This thread from a K1600 forum, https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/31929-anatomy-lefthand-combination-switch-failure.html shows the construction of the switch.

(Ignore the white wire, it's a repair).

"Switch cleaner, as has been reported, may cause a temporary fix since, once again, the evaporating solvent could have a cooling effect. There are no exposed contacts to clean; each button is sealed with a rubber boot against the elements and against switch cleaning fluid."

What was the actual fix from that link? I can't be arsed reading loads of posts on tap talk to find out!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:What was the actual fix from that link?
"Windscreen "up" button wouldn't work".

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: "Windscreen "up" button wouldn't work".

Yeah, The OP's got a 'sticky' menu switch, I'd be looking at a bit of contact cleaner and spray of furniture polish/silicone spray to clean & lube the button's moving action up.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The clearance between the menu (rocker) switch & the switch housing is there to be seen. The windscreen switch is of the same design.

The sealed buttons beneath the switch may be the problem.
Vince Prince wrote:The menu switch on my '16MY got sticky and was replaced under warranty.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: The clearance between the menu (rocker) switch & the switch housing is there to be seen. The windscreen switch is of the same design.

The sealed buttons beneath the switch may be the problem.

Bags of room, park a bus in there! lol OP said button was 'sticking' NOT 'not working'.. if something is 'sticking' clean and lube to prevent further sticking. If something 'isn't working' clean and lube, and if that doesn't resolve the problem? remove for further investigation towards electrical contacts.
buzz

Post by buzz »

Many thanks for the reply's, the switch is working, but feels just a little sticky