Nav VI with Garmin VIRB Camera

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
duckysan1

Nav VI with Garmin VIRB Camera

Post by duckysan1 »

Initially I was thrilled to find the VIRB remote control app included with my Nav VI.  Using it though proved frustrating and illogical.  I was concerned with the level of distraction caused each time I access the app, and wrote to Garmin support.  The team responded quickly, and I paraphrase:

"The VIRB remote is only accessible from the Apps menu on the BMW Navigator. Currently this is the software design and layout that BMW has requested for this product. I can take note of your concern with it and this might be something they look at changing with a future software update, there would be no guarantee of this. There is no work around for this, as it is by design."

I replied to Garmin this morning.  For me it's an important safety issue that needs support from other users as well.

"Firstly, I fully appreciate the design constraints are imposed by BMW.  Unfortunately, there is no forum or way to interface with the design team responsible for the specifications.
For me, the issue that really needs to be pushed with BMW is the VIRB app.  Anything that causes distraction and can be potentially dangerous should be changed.  IMHO there is more than one way to deal with the issue, bearing in mind the problem is the number of screen taps needed each time.  Here are my suggestions:

1.  Implement the Garmin slit-screen
2.    Allow VIRB shortcut to be added to either the home screen or the map screen.
3.    Allow the app to remain open and responsive to the ‘Wonderwheel’ ‘Page’ command (currently cycles home-map-compass-info)
4.    Allow re-ordering of the apps (eliminate 2 screen presses)
The reason I find this so important is due to the way I use the GPS.  By default I like to have the map displayed, but during road-trips I like to capture footage throughout my ride.  This means that every time I want to record I have to:
A)    Use the Wonderwheel ‘Page’ to display the ‘Home’ screen
B)    Press the Apps button
C)    Page down x 2 to reveal the VIRB app
D)    Press the VIRB app
This procedure has to be repeated many times during a ride causing unnecessary distraction.
I’ve expanded on my observations in the hope you may be able to pass this on to BMW and make the issue very clear to them"

Anybody have anything to add?

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav VI with Garmin VIRB Camera

Post by Casbar »

Have you read the very long thread on UKGSER about nav VI and garmin verb. There is a guy on there who seems to be a bit of an expert. He has it all working very well with front and rear cameras, plus having the gizmo to put the data from the ECU onto the screen as well.

Not sure if this is something of an issue with the RT, the guy has a GS
duckysan1

Post by duckysan1 »

It was quite an interesting post, but I conclude he uses his android phone for remote control and not the Nav VI.  My local Motorrad dealer suggests I contact BMW Germany directly.  Lets see how that goes...
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I hadn't read it in depth, but let us know how you get on, I was considering fitting a verb to my RT. Where have you mounted the camera? Do you use a EZ Can to power it?
duckysan1

Post by duckysan1 »

Currently mounted to helmet "Tele-Tubby' style.  Extra power supplied by power-bank/USB in the top pocket.  I have tried other postilions without success.  Low on the screen is a problem as the angle changes as the screen is raised (this would also affect the brackets made by Wonderlich and others).  I am considering purchasing a suction mount to attach to the fairing side, but every alternative considered provides less (IMHO) realistic imagery.  It's possible that a chest strap would be ideal.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Was wondering if it could be fitted under the headlamp, but I have no real idea how large the camera is. Some have mounted a bullet cam there.
pdxairhed

Post by pdxairhed »

I have had a continually problem establishing and maintaining the remote connection between the NAV VI and the VIRB. So much so that Garmin sent me a new NAV VI. Despite this the problem remains. Anybody else having this problem?
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

I had the same issue. Sold the VIRB and got a GoPro with the wireless remote strapped right in front of the clutch reservoir - works like a champ!
pdxairhed

Post by pdxairhed »

I have the Virb Remote device and when I use it there is no problem. It turns the camera on and off without issue. There must be either a firmware or software bug in the NAV VI Bluetooth transceiver or the software that synchronizes the camera and the NAV. I plan to delete all the other devices connected to or through the NAV like the iPhone, Sirius XM, the Sena 20S, and the Sena SR10, and then reconnect them one at a time to see if one or the other is the problem source. When I received the replacement NAV from Garmin I could initially connect the NAV remotely to the Virb. It was not a smooth user interface, but at least it worked. Now with the other devices connected to the NAV the camera is not even recognized by the Virb App on the NAV. be