1250 engine

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Old-Git

1250 engine

Post by Old-Git »

So yesterday was 16k service time. Dealer gave a a 1250 GS as a courtesy bike. I was surprised that I could get on it, but it was low suspension / low seat so Iwas able to touch the ground. More surprised that I could sit on it and change gear comfortably - I have low footrests on my RT due to restricted knee bend. Suspension / ride comfort / handling no better than my '15 RT, front brakes did their job but lacked fell IMHO, and why is the rear brake still a brembo? Gearbox far better than on mine. Engine - livelier, felt a bit more eager than mine - but not by that much. More, smoother top end, not really much difference lower and middle rane, that I could tell. New TFT dash is lovely. So am I gonna trade up? No. Hilltop MCs remap beckons, I'll be hanging on to mine a quite a while yet.
CheersNick
bandytales

Re: 1250 engine

Post by bandytales »

Old-Git wrote: Hilltop MCs remap beckons,

Never heard any results from these, so if you do decide to. then start a thread, as many would love to follow that and see what the results are like.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
Never heard any results from these, so if you do decide to. then start a thread, as many would love to follow that and see what the results are like.

Or just read the numbers threads on UKGSER about Hilltop and make your own mind up. There is another company called Tree Top tuning who are at war with Hilltop and claiming that Hilltop for the LC is all smoke and mirrors, those threads get quite heated :)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Old-Git wrote: So yesterday was 16k service time. Dealer gave a a 1250 GS as a courtesy bike. I was surprised that I could get on it, but it was low suspension / low seat so Iwas able to touch the ground. More surprised that I could sit on it and change gear comfortably - I have low footrests on my RT due to restricted knee bend. Suspension / ride comfort / handling no better than my '15 RT, front brakes did their job but lacked fell IMHO, and why is the rear brake still a brembo? Gearbox far better than on mine. Engine - livelier, felt a bit more eager than mine - but not by that much. More, smoother top end, not really much difference lower and middle rane, that I could tell. New TFT dash is lovely. So am I gonna trade up? No. Hilltop MCs remap beckons, I'll be hanging on to mine a quite a while yet.
CheersNick

Don't think you can really compare the 1250 in the GS to the same engine in the RT. Different gearing, different frame. My personal experience is, my 1250 is streets ahead of my 2014 RT I traded. Now done 2k miles and the engine is loosening up nicely. Not such a step change from 2017 bikes on though. But the engine is really good, IMHO.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I've changed from a 2015 RS to a new RT.  I can feel the power in the new engine but I can't decide if it's just me or whether or not it vibrates more at around 4000 rpm (= Autoroute speed).  Is it just me?
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Casbar wrote:
Don't think you can really compare the 1250 in the GS to the same engine in the RT. Different gearing, different frame. My personal experience is, my 1250 is streets ahead of my 2014 RT I traded. Now done 2k miles and the engine is loosening up nicely. Not such a step change from 2017 bikes on though. But the engine is really good, IMHO.
Fair comment, and a GS is lighter as well? Was all very subjective and non technical test for meI was surprised how much I liked it, and the engine is stoating, but it's not worth the extra money for me at the moment.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Old-Git wrote: Fair comment, and a GS is lighter as well? Was all very subjective and non technical test for meI was surprised how much I liked it, and the engine is stoating, but it's not worth the extra money for me at the moment.

It was very much an impulse buy for me. Should never have gone for a test ride :)