Tyre replacement dilemma

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
mogster

Tyre replacement dilemma

Post by mogster »

I'm on my 3rd set of Michelin PR4 GT's on my 2014 R1200RTw
No problems with them except serious cupping on the front and rear
I do mainly touring and heavily loaded and lots of bends and not too worried about high mileage
I was thinking of changing to Metzeler 01s but now being advised about the new pirelli Angel GT2 (A fit)
Not read much about them as they are a new release.
Has anybody tried them yet?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre replacement dilemma

Post by Casbar »

Tyre threads are always fun, looking forward to the replies. I had PR4GT on my 2014, first set cupped. Then on advice from Michelin, they told me to run the front at 38 instead of 36, vastly improved the cupping.

On my new 1250 it came with Metzler Z8s, only done 2k miles so far, but so far they have been fine. I was all ready to swap them out if they were rubbish, but so far all good.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

At this moment on my Kawasaki I have Michelin Road 5. Compared to old Bridgestones on this same bike, there is like day and night. Road 5 grip is really great, on the wet too. I did only 1500 miles on them, but I do not see any sign of the wear. That give me some confidence to say they will be really good for longevity (previous Bridgestones after 1500 miles were half done already :-(  )
Metzeler is owned by Pirelli, but I heard a lot of good things about both. Choose the one you like the most by the look  8)
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

You can't have Road 5s yet in the UK for the RT as they haven't given us the Road 5 GT as promised

I ran on Z8 s which weren't great on the K1600GT but fine on the RT, Tech 01s OK but rear was flattening at 3000 and by 5000 they where toast, just changed for a set of PR 4 GT s
I never get more than 5500 out of a tyre on the RT, on the K1600GT only 4500 max before cupping makes slow riding a wobbly affair!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I run my RT on Michelin PR4GTs.  I used PR3s on my 2013 RT and really liked them.  Confident in the wet or dry and lasted longer than any other tyre I had used.  My bike came with the only other tyre recommended by BMW - the Metzeler Z8, and I find the PR4GT marginally better.

I'm not convinced that the PR4 is a significant improvement on the PR3, but it does work well and lasts really well.  I often replace tyres before they're near to being illegal, especially if I'm heading off on a big trip, but at 5,000 miles the rear is just beginning to square off and at 9,000 miles the front is cupping.  This has begun to make the bike feel a little nervous, but it seems to still grip ok once leant over.  I might try a little more pressure in the front in future to see if cupping is reduced, but I'm reluctant to change back to the Z8.  I might have a look and see what BMW recommend for the R1250RT .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

gogs01 wrote: I run my RT on Michelin PR4GTs.  I used PR3s on my 2013 RT and really liked them.  Confident in the wet or dry and lasted longer than any other tyre I had used.  My bike came with the only other tyre recommended by BMW - the Metzeler Z8, and I find the PR4GT marginally better.

I'm not convinced that the PR4 is a significant improvement on the PR3, but it does work well and lasts really well.  I often replace tyres before they're near to being illegal, especially if I'm heading off on a big trip, but at 5,000 miles the rear is just beginning to square off and at 9,000 miles the front is cupping.  This has begun to make the bike feel a little nervous, but it seems to still grip ok once leant over.  I might try a little more pressure in the front in future to see if cupping is reduced, but I'm reluctant to change back to the Z8.  I might have a look and see what BMW recommend for the R1250RT .....

Hopefully BMW recommend the Z8 for the 1250 as my bike was delivered with them :)
mogster

Post by mogster »

Thanks for all the feedback
I know all to well about tyre threads and the pointless mileage questions etc etc
I'm just looking for honest feedback and people's preferences on the RT

totally agree with you (gogs01)about PR4's not being significantly better than the PR3.
I also have a friend running PR5's on his GSA and reports that again not significantly better than PR4/3
I'll will be continuing my fact finding and plan to talk to my BMW dealer for their advice
I like the thought of having the latest tyre technology but sometimes these manufacturers make claims that prove ill founded
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

mogster wrote:I'll will be continuing my fact finding and plan to talk to my BMW dealer for their advice.
In 2014, the list of "official" BMW recommended tyres for an LC were, Metzeler Z8, Continental RA 2GT & Michelin PR 4GT.
I believe the list has now been reduced to Z8 or PR 4GT only.
BMW dealers are most unlikely to recommend/fit tyres not on the "official" list.

Looking back at the "Poll of Tyre Options", viewtopic.php?t=7 PR 4GT are "top of the pops", followed by Z8.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

PR4GTs are great for me. Like Casbar says, running the front at 38psi seems to improve the wear pattern. I get about 7k from the rear, a little more from the front.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

I'm running Dunlop Roadsmart III's,  5th set over 2 R1200RT LC's. Excellent grip & handling in all weathers. Decent mileage too.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
g2ggb

Post by g2ggb »

My tupence worth !! Currently running Metzeler Roadtec 01 heavy rear and standard front currently with 4000 miles
Great tyres showing little wear , no squaring off, and great feedback and road holding in dry and wet conditions .
Greg
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

Casbar wrote: Tyre threads are always fun, looking forward to the replies. I had PR4GT on my 2014, first set cupped. Then on advice from Michelin, they told me to run the front at 38 instead of 36
  Running Roadtec01s on my K1300S as well as RT, first K1300S set OK, second set the front wore unevenly... now trying this +2psi approach on the front, so far looks good.  Peter
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Peter Baker wrote:   Running Roadtec01s on my K1300S as well as RT, first K1300S set OK, second set the front wore unevenly... now trying this +2psi approach on the front, so far looks good.  Peter
Very similar experience, on second set of Roadtecs on 1200LC, very pleased with performance. Bought from FWR Tyres in London who offered good price and advice, they also recommended running the front at 2.6bar to reduce cupping. Time will tell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

I just ran through my Pirelli's GTs, and have installed GT II's.  Too soon to tell, yet I found the GTs to be sticky when needed in the twisties, great wet traction, and I got a little over 8,000 miles out of the rear tire.  Not bad.  I'll chime in when I put the GT II's through the ringer in the next two weeks.

-Bob