Pivoting your bike around on its side-stand

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Pivoting your bike around on its side-stand

Post by jackronner »

Here's the link: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/h ... 20Combined

Might be a bit tricky with our big bikes, but in an absolute pinch it might work.  I did it once on the center stand on a heavy bike, rocking and twisting, kind of like walking a heavy bookcase into position.
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Pivoting your bike around on its side-stand

Post by temesvar »

I wouldn't even try to turn a RT. It is about 200 lbs heavier than that GS in the video.
The side stand is designed for a certain load, and  sooner or later will give in. And most
of us already added a wider base, so will not sink in the hot asphalt or gravel.
Since you asked, i turn my RT every single time i leave with it. But i use a turning plate
and  the center stand. Am not sure if they are still in business. But you can build
one yourself cheap enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JYIH3UFWOQ

exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I turn mine every day on the centre stand.    A piece of hard board  shinny side down on an old  carpet in the Garage.    Costs nowt  be

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I like the lazy Susan idea with two planks, just wonder if that would make the RT a little on the tall side for stability but great for lower bikes like Harley's etc.  I guess it raises the bike by about 3-4".  Pivoting bikes around on the stand has had interesting outcomes for me :)  Also, and I don't know if this is an issue on the RT, I've seen centre stands snap when dragged round.  Hmmm, one to think about.  Thanks for posting.
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

I'm using a TURNCYCLE.CA center stand disc to turn my RT around inside the garage.

The top of my driveway in front of the garage can get quite crowded and backing the RT out was often challenging, if not impossible.

Not cheap, but extraordinarily simple to use and effective!
temesvar
Been liked: 1 time

Post by temesvar »

Qball-16 wrote: I'm using a TURNCYCLE.CA center stand disc to turn my RT around inside the garage.

The top of my driveway in front of the garage can get quite crowded and backing the RT out was often challenging, if not impossible.

Not cheap, but extraordinarily simple to use and effective!
Same here. Turncycle  for about 5 years now, still functional, although been used many times.
Am using it on asphalt, and is not the best surface. Works great Not cheap, but for me well
worth it.
Brian Mac

Post by Brian Mac »

Hi Guys,

I went to my local plastic company and bought a section of fascia board for a couple of pounds. Works a treat
Attachments
Bike turner.jpg
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

I use a motorcycle dolly to manoeuvre my bikes around the garage. A little bit fiddly to get the bike up on its centrestand in the first instance, but a breeze to move it around in any direction thereafter. I’d be wary of moving/dragging the bike around on the centre stand in any direction other than the intended direction (ie when putting the bike on or off the stand). Although the actual centre stand is a robust structure, I’m sure it isn’t designed for excessive sideways forces, and besides it’s bl**dy hard work dragging it in that direction anyway!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

We allow the public to sit on our blood bikes, kids sometimes swing the handlebars whilst the bike is on the centre stand. Result, £90 to replace the washers and bushes from the centre stand on one of our RTPs from excessive sideways movement. We have stopped that practice now.
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

For moving your bike around the garage, its hard to do better than these things: https://www.dynamotousa.com/.

My garage is a "little" cramped and I need all the extra space I can get.  This allows me to both turn the bike around very easily but more usefully positioning it exactly where I want to leave it - usually with a pannier against a thin piece of carpet on the wall at one end and a folded-in mirror barely touching thinly carpeted wall at the other.

They are expensive but for my purposes VERY much worth it.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Jack_the_Lad wrote: For moving your bike around the garage, its hard to do better than these things: https://www.dynamotousa.com/.

My garage is a "little" cramped and I need all the extra space I can get.  This allows me to both turn the bike around very easily but more usefully positioning it exactly where I want to leave it - usually with a pannier against a thin piece of carpet on the wall at one end and a folded-in mirror barely touching thinly carpeted wall at the other.

They are expensive but for my purposes VERY much worth it.
Yes, I particularly like the well-engineered roller wheel design, where each wheel appears to have 8 individual roller segments on it, thus allowing the multi-directional movement. As you say, not cheap though!😬🙁