Issue with Alarm going off without reason.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
euphony290

Issue with Alarm going off without reason.

Post by euphony290 »

RT1200 (2015). The bike is garaged and, recently, I heard the alarm go off and so went to inspect. There is no security issue and certainly no mice etc., but the alarm was sounding. It has happened about 3 times now - once whilst under cover and the other twice without the cover on. Due to living in a linked-detached house, with very elderly neighbours, I am forced to leave the key to the keyless model nearby to prevent this happening again; especially during the night. I have spoken to my local dealer (CW, Dorchester) and they suggested booking it in for a computer check to see what was happening. I am now wondering at the potential cost for this (computer analysis + probable change of alarm activator) and so consulted the Haynes Manual only to discover there is no comment on this item at all.
Has anyone else had an issue similar to this and could offer any advice please?
Many thanks in anticipation!
stayingupright

Re: Issue with Alarm going off without reason.

Post by stayingupright »

I had a similar problem with my 2016. People were telling me the alarm was going off while I was away from the bike.

Ended up getting the Alarm module replaced under warrenty by my BMW dealer.

Never did find out what the actual problem was.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Same here replaced under warranty. Apparently often full of water always put cloth between back seat and rack when washing,might just be wishfull thinking. You can just switch it off.
euphony290

Post by euphony290 »

Thanks guys, for your replies. It could well be down to water ingress but you would expect a BMW alarm sensor would be waterproof, surely? I bought the bike in Feb 2018 (a 2015 model) and so I may take it to CW's and get it checked/replaced whilst still under the 2 year warranty. I will also take advice on putting a cloth between the back seat and the rack whilst washing in future! Thanks for your comments!Ron
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

The alarm has gone off twice to my knowledge (i.e. when I've been here and heard it) on my new 1250 whilst it is sitting in the garage minding its own business, and with a perfectly dry under seat area.  Having regard to the size of the spider that must be causing this I'm reluctant to investigate further......
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Hors Piste wrote: The alarm has gone off twice to my knowledge (i.e. when I've been here and heard it) on my new 1250 whilst it is sitting in the garage minding its own business, and with a perfectly dry under seat area. Having regard to the size of the spider that must be causing this I'm reluctant to investigate further......
Make sure you tie string round the bottom of yer trousers.  Like us used to do down in Devvin…….