Wunderlich Engine Crash Bars and Denali Auxiliary Lights

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
BlueRT

Wunderlich Engine Crash Bars and Denali Auxiliary Lights

Post by BlueRT »

I purchased a set of Wunderlich pannier and engine crash bars from Wunderlich-America out of California. The pannier crash bars installed as expected with no difficulty and are meeting expectations. Along with the pannier crash bars, that process required the passenger footpegs to be modified and I modified with extenders which were simple to install. I'm having major issues with the engine crash bars. The engine crash bars will not line-up to allow smooth bolt installation on the mounting points. Basically, the holes for the bolts are drilled in the wrong place and will not line-up. After email and telephone communications with Wunderlich-America they ended up sending me a second set of engine crash bars. I'm beginning my installation of this second set of Wunderlich engine crash bars and want to ask if other out there in RT world have had a similar experience?  I talked to my local BMW dealership service staff about Wunderlich crash bars and they said they had previous experience with the engine crash bars and their experience was so bad, they no longer accept the "challenge" of installing these engine crash bars. When the service staff at a BMW dealership tell you they don't accept the "challenge" of installing Wunderlich engine crash bars -  that's a statement of magnitude.  Denali auxiliary lights - I just had a set of Denali auxiliary lights installed by my BMW dealer service department and I must give Denali some prof's.  The D2 LED lights mounted at two points, one just below each mirror and I had DM 2.0 lights mounted just above the front fender off the front forks. These lights exceed my expectations!  I have fantastic day light visibility for on-coming traffic and at night the Denali's light up the road like it was day-light!  I also replaced the factory horn with a Denali air-horn and it gets peoples attention!  If you've thinking about auxiliary lighting for you RT, I can now strongly recommend the Denali D2 and DM 2.0 LED lights.  Least I forget, I also strongly endorse the Denali air-horn!
Keep The Faith!
BlueRT

Re: Wunderlich Engine Crash Bars and Denali Auxiliary Lights

Post by BlueRT »

The drama of the Wunderlich engine crash bars is over. I finally had no choice but to go to my local machine shop, play with the mounting hole locations and had the machine shop bore new holes for the bolts to align with the mounting points on the RT. After these alterations, the engine crash bars finally mounted onto the RT and I'm frankly done with them. After two (2) sets of Wunderlich engine crash bars, I finally got the second pair to fit but only after my local machinist modifications. If I had known before I ordered these engine crash bars, what I know now, I would not have ordered them. I guess I had too high of expectations for material and parts being of German manufacture for a German motorrad to be of higher quality. The manufacturer needs to look at its internal quality control - it's non-existent as far as I'm concerned. 
Keep The Faith!
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

It's not confined to Wunderlich........

Givi luggage is great and fits great, but a major retailer could not recommend their crash bars. Too hit and miss with the bolt alignment, according to their in-house workshop.
John Bentall
evanvanhorn

Post by evanvanhorn »

I am a newbie.  Just picked up a new 2018 R1200RT. Are there no reliable, perfect fit, engine crash bars that fit right? 
Qball-16

Post by Qball-16 »

evanvanhorn wrote: I am a newbie.  Just picked up a new 2018 R1200RT. Are there no reliable, perfect fit, engine crash bars that fit right?

I have no specific experience with this particular year/model engine bars, but Ilium Works (www.iliumworks.com) has some exceptional products that have always worked perfectly & fit flawlessly for my bike.  Not cheap, but terrific quality!
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

BlueRT wrote: Denali auxiliary lights - I just had a set of Denali auxiliary lights installed by my BMW dealer service department and I must give Denali some prof's.  The D2 LED lights mounted at two points, one just below each mirror and I had DM 2.0 lights mounted just above the front fender off the front forks. These lights exceed my expectations!  I have fantastic day light visibility for on-coming traffic and at night the Denali's light up the road like it was day-light!  I also replaced the factory horn with a Denali air-horn and it gets peoples attention!  If you've thinking about auxiliary lighting for you RT, I can now strongly recommend the Denali D2 and DM 2.0 LED lights.  Least I forget, I also strongly endorse the Denali air-horn!

Do you have any photos of the lights on the bike?
Rwslater
United States of America

Post by Rwslater »

I purchased the wunderlich forward crash bar for my 2015 R1200RT.  After reading this I am wondering what the challenge will be when I go to put them on
buzz

Post by buzz »

Mine fitted first time, sounds like I was lucky
R2K

Post by R2K »

I installed Wunderlich front engine case guards on my 2019 R1250RT SC without any difficulties.  Fit was perfect, like the way they look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Attachments
58138114232__35AA8FB7-579A-436E-A0FC-F4BE2D75D270.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Looking good R2K I fitted mine and they were a very good fit and quality.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

evanvanhorn wrote: I am a newbie.  Just picked up a new 2018 R1200RT. Are there no reliable, perfect fit, engine crash bars that fit right?

Yes there are. Illium Works bars fit perfectly. I have just fitted a set to my 1250, not one issue with fitting, was very easy and excellent instructions. But they are very expensive in Europe. Only UK distributor is Sportouring.co.uk. Check them out on the Illium Website, there is even a video of the owner dropping his RT with the bars fitted.
Rwslater
United States of America

Post by Rwslater »

Thanks Buzz and R2K, I will find out soon.  Hoping they fit like yours
winglider

Post by winglider »

Rwslater wrote: I purchased the wunderlich forward crash bar for my 2015 R1200RT.  After reading this I am wondering what the challenge will be when I go to put them on
I fitted a set of Wunderlich engine bars and fairing top protection bars to my 2015 R1200 RT  a month or so ago, the engine bars were quite easy the left side fairing bars were not quite so easy. My advice to you is read the instructions at least twice,until you have a good idea where they fit, then loosely assembly the bars on the bike until in correctly in position, now go round and finally tighten everything up. Its easy really but you may get frustrated, :nervous: then just walk away have a cup of tea or coffee. You should come back to it and crack it. :pee:
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Has anyone ever queried why BMW don't make crash bars for the RT?  They make them for several other models - e.g. I had BMW bars on my R1200RS.  Fortunately I never had to discover if they were effective - probably a case of if you have them you'll never drop the bike but if you don't it's inevitable.  I'm considering buying some now but just wondered why BMW themselves don't do them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hors Piste wrote: Has anyone ever queried why BMW don't make crash bars for the RT?  They make them for several other models - e.g. I had BMW bars on my R1200RS.  Fortunately I never had to discover if they were effective - probably a case of if you have them you'll never drop the bike but if you don't it's inevitable.  I'm considering buying some now but just wondered why BMW themselves don't do them.

They do for RTP spec. Think those will fit the standard bike, but they are pretty ugly and just functional. I can vouch for them though :)