Dual camera system - any recommendations

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
johnroe

Dual camera system - any recommendations

Post by johnroe »

I am seeking to fit dual camera system to my R1200RT

Important factors to me are; ease of fitting with good clear english instructions (video even better),unobtrusive cameras, hardwiring and auto start up, decent back up if it does go wrong or advice is needed

If you have fitted such a system or have experience to make an informed recommendation Id really appreciate your thoughts

Thanks in advance
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Re: Dual camera system - any recommendations

Post by bicyclenut »

I went with the Innovv K2. I had the Innovv K1 on my previous bike and although there were a few minor issues and I know others has some issues, it worked well for me and they improved some of the faults and made improvements from the K1 to the K2.
The unit is hardwired with auto-auto start and stop which avoids problems with batteries and remembering to turn them on. There is a separate DVR for the 2 cameras with GPS and the video loops so it erases the oldest video first so you never run out of SD card space and can download video if you want. The K2 now has a phone App to control the system and download video, better waterproofing of the DVR and better looking bullet shaped cameras.
I put the rear camera mounted off the rear brake light on the right side.  The front camera I mounted behind the windscreen using the GPS mount I have and clamp on camera mount. Some have mounted these up front but I wanted more of a rider perspective and the protection of the camera behind the screen. The DVR is mounted under the seat wired in through my AP-2 fuse box. The GPS sensor is mounted on velcro to my right pannier or I can move it to the top of the turn signal lens if I ride with the pannier mounted.
Overall the system is pricey for some, there are some similar knock-off type units I have seen for less but the reviews for this unit are good overall and I have always had a good experience with support when I contacted them. They replaced a faulty GPS sensor without issues.[attachimg=1]
Attachments
IMG_3941.JPG
bicyclenut
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Here is another angle of the front camera and you can see the small streamlined shape of these. The old K1 system had cameras that were like a square box of aluminum.[attachimg=1]
Attachments
IMG_3931.JPG
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

+1 for Innovv, I have the single front camera.
bicyclenut
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Here is a sample of video from the INNOVV system, this was using the previous model, the K1, the K2 has better HD resolution and better low light resolution.

https://youtu.be/mUMrzFGGLxM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

+1 for Innov  I have the K1  had it for a few years  ride every day  and it has not so far had any issues.
Keep looking at the K2  but cant justify replacing the K1 yet :-)

johnroe

Post by johnroe »

Very many thanks guys!

Looks like its an Innov K2 for me

Much appreciated

John
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

johnroe wrote: Very many thanks guys!

Looks like its an Innov K2 for me

Much appreciated

John

Will you need the Cansmart or similar?
bicyclenut
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

A cansmart, Ezcan or similar is not needed. The Innovv comes with a relay/switch and so you will need to connect it to power (direct to battery or through a fusebox/power distribution box) and then you need a switched power supply that the Innovv relay will use to switch on and off when ignition is on or off. Depending on the bike there are various locations that can be used (license plate power, diagnostic port power, or other).  I did use the power wire off my EzCAN to switch on the Innovv, but this is not required. Other options are available.
Beagle wrote: Will you need the Cansmart or similar?
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Thinkware M1 - expensive but might be worth it?

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Have just ordered the Thinkware M1 - for some reason it is $150 less at B&H Photo than anywhere else I've seen.

At $349 it is definitely at the top of the price range for these things but seems to offer some really nice features, especially image stabilization and improved night vision.  No reviews anywhere but their other gear is good, and someone has to go first!

The other thing that appeals is it is should be very simple to install:  main waterproof box, then two wires to the battery, connect one camera at each end and a wired controller, done.

We'll see if the reality lives up to the hype. 
Last edited by Jack_the_Lad on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

Thinkware M1 installed, but not tested yet on R1200RT.
Easy installation:

1. Main unit under the seat

2. Connect front cam to main unit

3. Connect rear cam to main unit

4. Connect main unit to switched power source (Centech in my case)

Done.

Pictures here:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-want-a-good-camera-setup.1390252/#post-37827658

R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a