Motorcycle Entitlement Lost By DVLA

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Motorcycle Entitlement Lost By DVLA

Post by MikeS »

My friends planning to get back into bikes after a 30 year break. Been and put a deposit on new Royal Enfield Continental (he likes that sort of thing) and just happened to check his photo license when arranging insurance. He finds that there's no motorcycle entitlement on the back, can only think that it came off when he changed addresses a few years ago.

Phoned DVLA who didn't think seem to think it's their problem, he passed his test in 1978 and records don't go back that far. Might be somewhere on a microfiche or might not. Best advice they could offer was that he'll have to retake his test. By way of reassurance they mentioned that he wasn't the first person this had happened to.

Probably best to photocopy your license before you send it off for any changes because the onus of proof lies with you if they mess up.

Last edited by MikeS on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprintgull

Re: Motorcycle Entitlement Lost By DVLA

Post by Sprintgull »

Thanks for the heads up.  Just checked mine.... phew!  DVLA lost one our sons' licence a few years back.  Right old kerfuffle, but eventually they 'found' it. 
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

DVLA messed up few years ago and lost motorcycle entitlements for lots of people, it was on watchdog i think. Even serving police traffic officers had to retake test. If remember correctly they were particularly fussey about what prove you had photo no good. Keep test certificate or old driving licence.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

You have to take a test to ride a motorcycle? 🤔 😂
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Dont worry Sim I think your age exempt.
horand

Post by horand »

Hi

I came back to motorcycling after around 35 years 2 years ago. I believe I did my bike test around 1979/80.
When I resumed biking the insurance company asked for a copy of my licence which was in order so luckily I have not encountered the same problem.
It seems unfair that you may now have to undergo the test procedures all over again.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There was a thread on UKGSER with a chap who had sent his licence back for renewal and the same thing happened, the difference was, he did have a copy of his original licence, but they apparently would still not reinstate his entitlement, so he had to take his test again. Apparently they wanted a copy of his pass certificate. I'd be stuffed if that happened to me, but it seems if its already on your photo license, then it will be there. You can log onto the DVLA and it will show you your licence entitlements, so if its showing there, you will never have an issue.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Casbar wrote: Apparently they wanted a copy of his pass certificate. I'd be stuffed if that happened to me.

How many of us kept a copy of our pass certificate? I'll take a guess, not many.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote:
How many of us kept a copy of our pass certificate? I'll take a guess, not many.

Exactly that's why he had to take his test again. I've checked my entitlement on the DVLA computer and its there, so there should never be an issue. I took a screen shot to keep, just in case.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Having read this I have just checked my licence and see it runs at end of Nov this year. Good thread made me check. Did what Casbar has done and just recorded screen shots of the details on the DVLA site. Don't fancy doing another test. As for having a pass certificate from 1975 you must be joking, that was lost many years ago.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: Having read this I have just checked my licence and see it runs at end of Nov this year. Good thread made me check. Did what Casbar has done and just recorded screen shots of the details on the DVLA site. Don't fancy doing another test. As for having a pass certificate from 1975 you must be joking, that was lost many years ago.

Think if it's on the DVLA site, most seem to have issues when the entitlements were transferred to the IT system then are using. If its showing on the site, that is where the data comes from to issue a new license.
wits
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by wits »

Casbar wrote: Think if it's on the DVLA site, most seem to have issues when the entitlements were transferred to the IT system then are using. If its showing on the site, that is where the data comes from to issue a new license.
Not sure if you can still get a printout of your entitlement by sending the DVLA £5.00p (its was a few years ago). A4 printouts about 8 pages inc photo's. test date etc..
RT1200 LC 2018, Guzzi Breva 1100 2005 ...Now sold....
dtw

Post by dtw »

Happened to me in 2006, lost licence durring house move. had to retake test.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

dtw wrote: Happened to me in 2006, lost licence durring house move. had to retake test.
My friend's now having to do the same, no joy with the DVLA. Just done his CBT (or whatever it's called now) and waiting for a date to come through for an intensive bike course so that he can get his full license back.
Last edited by MikeS on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.