Varifocal glasses

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Varifocal glasses

Post by MikeS »

Question for all the varifocal/ bifocal wearers.

Has anybody else had problems with the RT mirrors and varifocal glasses? I struggled with mine, the mirrors are low enough to be in the reading portion of the lenses. A quick glance down just gave me a blurred view of what was behind, moving my head enough to use the distance correction just felt unnatural.

Ended up getting a single vision pair made up just for the bike, luckily the dash/ sat nav are far enough away to be clearly visible with this prescription.

Another one of those problems with getting older I suppose.

Mike

Old-Git

Re: Varifocal glasses

Post by Old-Git »

I wear them, never had a problem TBH.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Old-Git wrote: I wear them, never had a problem TBH.

Yep, same for me.

But if it is a real pain you can always fit high level mirrors
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I wear varifocal glasses, but on the bike I find (daily disposable) contact lenses much more convenient.  More comfort, no misting, no fear of dropping them when putting on or taking off the helmet.

My prescription is the same for each eye, so I was given a "distance" lens for my dominant eye and a "reading" lens for the other eye.  Sounds really weird, but it works really well - and I have absolutely no issues with the RT mirrors !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

gogs01 wrote: I wear varifocal glasses, but on the bike I find (daily disposable) contact lenses much more convenient.  More comfort, no misting, no fear of dropping them when putting on or taking off the helmet.

My prescription is the same for each eye, so I was given a "distance" lens for my dominant eye and a "reading" lens for the other eye.  Sounds really weird, but it works really well - and I have absolutely no issues with the RT mirrors !
Contact lenses were my first choice, had a trial of mutlifocal disposables. Unfortunately I just couldn't get on with them, had real problems getting them in. Even the optician couldn't do it. Gave up and ordered a pair of single vision glasses from their "budget frame" range in the end.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I guess we're all different, and the same solution won't work for everybody.

Single focus glasses wouldn't work for me because, if they worked for distance, including the mirrors, I suspect I would struggle with reading the information on the dash.  Good that they work for you though.

I've known people take a long time to come to terms with lenses but they've got there in the end .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I'm long sighted and don't need anything for distance.  The sat nav and bike instruments can be an issue when tired though and at night.  just for fun I'm colour blind too and red on black is difficult.  Cheap fix: I bought a pair of cheap very small (think Bond villain) readers which sit  on my nose meaning I'm still fine for distance, but the dash is also much clearer.  I've lost the bu88ers though!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The mirrors do vibrate a bit, is this the problem?
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Beagle wrote: The mirrors do vibrate a bit, is this the problem?
Have noticed some vibration at certain revs but no it was like trying to look through them with the equivalent of reading glasses on.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

gogs01 wrote: I wear varifocal glasses, but on the bike I find (daily disposable) contact lenses much more convenient.  More comfort, no misting, no fear of dropping them when putting on or taking off the helmet.

+1, I tried wearing glasses but really can't get on with them for motorcycling, and the 'dailies' are just so much easier. The only problem I have on touring with them in is the dust and crap that gets in your eyes if you raise the visor to get some air. 
heathy65

Post by heathy65 »

I wear varifocals and have not had a problem.

garth514

Post by garth514 »

Varifocals fine for me as well , just got to move the head slightly not just drop the eyes 
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat , you cling on tenaciously but you know that sooner or later you're going to get pissed off
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

garth514 wrote: Varifocals fine for me as well , just got to move the head slightly not just drop the eyes
+1
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.