STRONG Fuel Odor

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Davo

STRONG Fuel Odor

Post by Davo »

I rode my 2009 R1200RT to the dealer for a state inspection on Saturday afternoon. The bike passed, no problem. I took the bike out for about 45-50 miles with no problem. When I turned around to come home, I stopped and filled the tank up with 93 octane premium unleaded. I rode all the way home without any noticeable issues. I parked the bike in the garage for the evening. The next morning, my garage was filled with the strongest fuel vapors I think I've ever experienced. I checked the bike and noticed a drop of fuel hanging off the left cowl. There was a stain on the floor about half the size of a dollar bill. I touched the drop of fuel and it felt like oil, but the smell was definitely gasoline. I called the dealer and asked if they usually do anything to test/check the fuel system during state inspections. I was told that they don't touch the fuel system at all and I absolutely trust the guy at the dealer. I'm going to pull the fairing off (my first time on this bike) and see if I can find any fuel leaks. Have any of you had similar/same experiences? Any suggestions about the most likely culprits?

Thanks
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: STRONG Fuel Odor

Post by MikeS »

May seem daft but are you sure the filler cap is closed? Happened to me a couple of times when I didn't give it enough pressure to "click" it into place. Could smell the fuel as I was riding along.

Doesn't explain the fuel on the floor though.
julianq

Post by julianq »

2 vent/overflow pipes, one from the fuel pump on left or the filler one goes down the rear break side and out on the bottom centre/left. This has a joint half way along it that is easy to pull apart when fiddling removing fairing. Had this on mine after a service, not reconnected and strong smell as I rode along.
JQ 2007 R1200RT
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks guys, the filler cap was definitely secure after I filled up (I checked). I'll look for that "joint" before I put it back together, but the dealer didn't touch anything on the fuel system during the state inspection. It may just need to be cleaned out though. I pulled the fairing off this morning. I noticed an additional, small amount of fuel had dripped onto the floor beneath the bike since last week. I pulled the left fairing this morning. The fuel pump was half submerged in fuel. The stainless screws that hold the pump onto the tank were under fuel. Fuel was able to drain under a metal ring that surrounds the pump, fuel level sensor, etc. and onto the floor. I used a paper towel to dab the fuel out of the area. I started the bike and watched as fuel gradually built up in the same area again. It only took a couple of minutes to watch the fuel return to the area around the fuel pump. I didn't see any fuel leaking from the connections so I assume th gasket to the fuel pump is the culprit. I'm going to replace all the gaskets and o-rings for all the parts in proximity to the fuel pump. I'm heading over to the dealer to pick them up now. I'll let you know how it goes.
Davo
Dochatley
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by Dochatley »

So, how did it go. Leak fixed?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I had a similar problem at the left cowl.  Turned out the plastic fitment under the cowl and right on top of the fuel pump above the left fuel pod, sort of an elbow joint, had cracked and was jetting fuel into the small upper cowl piece.  Seem to recall, however, that it only spewed gas when the bike was started, but even if it only failed just as you got home, it would account for your fuel spot on the floor.  Simple to remove and inspect and replace.  Seem coincidental that this occurred so shortly after the servicing, so perhaps you can talk them into replacing it gratis?