Displaying speed as kph rather than mph.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Displaying speed as kph rather than mph.

Post by MattyP »

Hi all.  I have a 2017 R1200RT LE.  Does anybody know if it is possible to change the digital read out to show my speed in kph rather than mph for when I am touring on the continent?  If it is possible then how do I go about it?

Many thanks guys.

Matt
gary45

Re: Displaying speed as kph rather than mph.

Post by gary45 »

GS911 or dealer
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

gary45 wrote: GS911 or dealer

Easier to just use the satnav. 10 seconds to change to kph and back again.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MikeS wrote:

...like it should be with the bike!
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

MikeS wrote:

Funny this is the answer I got when I complained back in 2014 how stupid it was that a bike made for touring was not able to change speed / distance units. Yes you can of cause use satnav or tape the important speeds onto the analogue speedo. However this is still ridiculous. Why ? Well for me my eyes have been trained to look at the rather nice big clear digital speed as an intuitive action which I do in a blink of the eye. Now I'm searching for where to look and when I find it I see a small not so easy to read speed. Meanwhile my attention is taken off the road for longer than it should be. Ok I maybe over stating this a bit but I am trying to make a point.

Why do I have to have a degraded speed readout when ever I travel to Europe >:(
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote:
Funny this is the answer I got when I complained back in 2014 how stupid it was that a bike made for touring was not able to change speed / distance units. Yes you can of cause use satnav or tape the important speeds onto the analogue speedo. However this is still ridiculous. Why ? Well for me my eyes have been trained to look at the rather nice big clear digital speed as an intuitive action which I do in a blink of the eye. Now I'm searching for where to look and when I find it I see a small not so easy to read speed. Meanwhile my attention is taken off the road for longer than it should be. Ok I maybe over stating this a bit but I am trying to make a point.

Yes, however did we manage in the old days without Sat Nav and digital speedo. In fact the LC is the first bike I have ever had with a digital speed display. Good job I'm good a metal arithmetic :)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
Yes, however did we manage in the old days without Sat Nav and digital speedo.

My old speedos had both MPH and KPH on the same dial. On the RT, I turn the digital readout off anyway, but the point is, it should be a really easy thumbwheel setting along with all the other stuff.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
My old speedos had both MPH and KPH on the same dial. On the RT, I turn the digital readout off anyway, but the point is, it should be a really easy thumbwheel setting along with all the other stuff.

My 1250 has mph and kph on the same dial, if you can't read that, maybe a trip to the optician might be in order. In all seriousness, if you set the Nav, it will even show you when you are exceeding the speed limit by turning the speed red. A digital speed read out will only tell you your speed, not what the speed limit is and if you are exceeding it.

First world problems, now where is the RT coffee maker :)
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Levisp wrote:

I find that the sat nav is easier to use for speed checks when I'm abroad. All the information is on one screen: speed, posted speed limits, distance to next turn and the general layout of the road ahead.
I've only got to look at one thing quickly to get a lot of information and as its higher up there's less time with my eyes off the road.

Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Back to sticky labels on the speedo though.  Send Motorrad a picture of said stickies on your expensive bike, might shame them in to doing something.  No.... don't be daft they never listen.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I run the digital speedo as well, however, I usually have music playing whilst I'm riding, which overrides the digital readout, and I have come to predominantly use the satnav speed readout. I also find that, if I'm using the satnav, I don't draw my eyes as far away from the road as I do if I'm looking at the analogue or digital speedos.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue