Insurance Renewal

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Insurance Renewal

Post by MikeS »

Sorry if this has been covered before but it seems that it pays to be a new customer when buying insurance.

Got my renewal through for the 1250RT, nearly £460. £100 more than last years premium which was based on a 1200GS LC.

Straight onto Compare The Market for a quote, tapped in all the info from the renewal statement (same excess, mileage etc.) The company that I'm currently with gives a quote of £360. Now need to ring them and see if they can match their own quote.

Before somebody tells me that I've bought an 18 grand bike and  now moaning about the cost of insurance. I'm not, what bothers me is the price of insurance if you don't challenge them. If they had quoted a new customer the same price I would have said fair enough ( but still shopped around).

Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Insurance Renewal

Post by Steve F »

Welcome to the world of selfish, greedy insurance companies, who show absolutely no reward for loyalty to existing customers 🤬. New customer? Certainly sir.......🙄😬
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

It's actually an excellent situation for people to get off their backsides, research the market and get a great deal. If others want to simply pay the renewal price with their existing company, then that's their choice.
I've just completed the  renewal  on my Triumph Sprint. £135 with Hastings (who also insure my RT at present) and £85 following an MCN insurance search.
It all helps to keep prices as low as possible.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I commented elsewhere that this year I was quoted £460 and ended paid less than half, through the same broker. Apparently they receive the renewal quote from the insurer and just send it out  instead of doing a "re-quote". Nearly lost them a customer.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Phoned them today and they can't beat the comparison site quote ( which is for their company). Could get it down by £50. Told me that the best thing to do was cancel the renewal and go through the site to get the price as a new customer. So that's what I did.

Found slightly cheaper quotes but all with high excesses on the policy, the company I'm with now has the lowest excess.

Suppose at least now Ive got the 2 for 1 offer on cinema tickets and pizzas for a year.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Got my renewal notice from Carole Nash, £440 for a Six Wheel policy, (2 bikes + 1 car). The premium has gone up less than a tenner since last year. Will give them a call and ask if it's their best price, together with ringing the IAM bunch for a quote.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Got my renewal notice from Carole Nash, £440 for a Six Wheel policy, (2 bikes + 1 car).

That's 'Eight' wheels?... be sure to check your policy wording?,, you might not be covered if you get rammed up the back end (oo err missus) in your car  ;) 
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

simbo wrote:
That's 'Eight' wheels?... be sure to check your policy wording?,, you might not be covered if you get rammed up the back end (oo err missus) in your car  ;)
'Six Wheel®' - Carole Nash's registered trademark for combined car and bike policies!  :)

Pete
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Phoned IAM Surety Insurance, they are just not competitive for me. I sometimes wonder why I continue to pay IAM Roadsmart around £30 per year to maintain my membership.

Have renewed with Carole Nash for £440, now been with them for the last 5 years. So much for insurers not looking after existing customers and only looking for new business then hiking the renewal premium.
CarbonB55

Post by CarbonB55 »

Got to recommend the guys at bemoto , my premium went down by £50 ( just renewed July 2019 ) on a 2016 r1200RT
https://www.bemoto.uk/

milleplod

Post by milleplod »

I'm glad I'm old....'59 model....on an old bike....'06 model....covered by the oldies favourite, Saga.... £74 fully comp.  ;D I only ever found one company that would acknowledge my Class One Police Advanced ticket as 'further training', but their premium was way higher in the first place. Saga must like me - they insure my Merc too, for around £100 cheaper than anyone else.

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

milleplod wrote: I only ever found one company that would acknowledge my Class One Police Advanced ticket as 'further training',Pete

I too find that the IAM and ROSPA gold tickets offer no worthwhile discounts nowadays.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

Just had my renewal from Bikesure, £398 for a '12 RT and '92 CBR600 including £40 interest for paying over 4 months.
I too find that the IAM and ROSPA gold tickets offer no worthwhile discounts nowadays.
I guess most of your premium is actually theft risk rather than third party risk, being 'advanced' doesn't change that.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

milleplod wrote: I'm glad I'm old....'59 model....on an old bike....'06 model....covered by the oldies favourite, Saga.... £74 fully comp.  ;D I only ever found one company that would acknowledge my Class One Police Advanced ticket as 'further training', but their premium was way higher in the first place. Saga must like me - they insure my Merc too, for around £100 cheaper than anyone else.

Pete

Do Saga insure bikes now? I've had my car with them for a few years and always received competitive renewal quotes. However, when I asked about bikes two years ago they said that they didn't quote directly but referred me to Bennetts.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

MikeS wrote:
Do Saga insure bikes now? I've had my car with them for a few years and always received competitive renewal quotes. However, when I asked about bikes two years ago they said that they didn't quote directly but referred me to Bennetts.
Saga bought out Bennetts a while ago now, but still use Bennetts as a trading style. Documents are all marked up as Saga though.
Pete